Table of contents:
Tegretol XR is a prescription medication primarily used as an anticonvulsant to prevent and control seizures in individuals with epilepsy. It can also be prescribed to relieve nerve pain such as trigeminal neuralgia and is used to treat manic and mixed episodes in patients with bipolar I disorder.
Tegretol XR is an extended-release form of the anticonvulsant drug carbamazepine. Carbamazepine is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. It works by preventing brain cells from working too fast, which can help prevent seizures.
The extended-release capsules of Tegretol XR release the medication slowly into the body, which helps to maintain an optimal level of the medication in the bloodstream and reduce the number of tablets required per day.
Use and Dosage
Carbamazepine comes as an extended-release tablet that is taken orally. The usual dose of the extended-release tablet is twice a day with meals. Swallow the extended-release tablets whole; do not split, chew, or crush them.
The recommended dosages of Carbamazepine can depend on several factors such as the condition being treated, patient age, and overall health. Here are some general guidelines based on information from various sources:
- For adults, the initial dose is typically between 100mg to 200mg, taken 1 to 4 times a day. The dose may be gradually increased until the optimal dose is reached.
- The maintenance dose should be the minimum effective dose for the condition. This is 800 to 1200mg per day.
- Dosages for children and adolescents are lower than for adults and can depend on the weight of the patient.
- The maximum recommended dose is usually 1600mg per day, but occasionally some patients may require higher doses.
Take Carbamazepine regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Keep taking Carbamazepine even if you feel well.
To ensure that you do not miss a dose, take Carbamazepine at the same time each day. Take Carbamazepine exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Avoid taking more than the recommended dosage or increasing the frequency of use without consulting your physician.
Common Side Effects of Tegretol XR (Carbamazepine):
- Difficulty speaking
- Dry mouth
- Thinking abnormal
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
Serious Side Effects of Tegretol XR (Carbamazepine):
- Dark urine
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
- Headache, new or increased number of seizures, difficulty concentrating, confusion, weakness, or unsteadiness
- Loss of appetite
- Pain on the right side of your stomach area
- Severe rash with one or more of the following: fever, muscle, or joint aches, red or swollen eyes, blisters or peeling skin, mouth sores, or swelling of your face or neck
- Swelling of your face, eyes, eyelids, lips, or tongue
- Vision changes
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Forms and Strength
Tegretol XR (Carbamazepine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Tegretol XR: ER (Extended Release) Tablet
Carbamazepine: ER (Extended Release) Tablet
- Tegretol XR can cause severe allergic reactions, such as skin rash, hives, fever, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Tegretol XR can cause changes in blood cell counts, including a decrease in white blood cells, which can increase the risk of infection, or a decrease in platelets, which can increase the risk of bleeding.
- Tegretol XR can cause liver damage, particularly in people who already have liver problems or who are taking other medications that affect the liver.
- Carbamazepine can interact with other medications and cause serious side effects, particularly with drugs that affect liver metabolism or blood clotting, including antidepressants, anticoagulants, and antipsychotic medications.
- Carbamazepine can cause harm to the developing fetus, and it can also pass into breast milk and harm a nursing baby. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding before taking Tegretol XR.
- Tegretol XR can cause drowsiness, dizziness, and blurred vision, which can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. It can also cause confusion, agitation, and depression, particularly in people with a history of mood disorders.
- Tegretol XR can cause changes in heartbeat, including fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat, which can be serious in some cases.
- Tegretol XR can cause low levels of sodium in the blood, particularly in elderly patients or those taking diuretics, which can cause symptoms such as headache, nausea, confusion, and seizures.
- Tegretol XR can cause serious skin reactions, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis, which can be life-threatening.
- Abruptly stopping Carbamazepine can cause withdrawal symptoms, including anxiety, insomnia, and seizures. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully when stopping Carbamazepine.
- Drinking alcohol can increase the risk of side effects and should be avoided while taking Tegretol XR.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Carbamazepine interact with other medications?
Carbamazepine can interact with other medications, particularly those that affect liver metabolism or blood clotting, including antidepressants, anticoagulants, and antipsychotic medications.
Can Tegretol XR be used to treat anxiety or depression?
Tegretol XR is not typically used to treat anxiety or depression. It is primarily used to treat seizures, nerve pain, and bipolar disorder
How long does it take for Carbamazepine to start working?
The time it takes for Carbamazepine to start working can vary depending on the condition being treated. It may take a few weeks to see the full benefits of the medication.
Can Tegretol XR be addictive?
Tegretol XR is not typically considered to be addictive. However, it can cause withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly, so it should be tapered off slowly under the guidance of a healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Tegretol XR from verified Canadian pharmacy.