Stalevo 150 is a prescription medication used to treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, such as tremors, muscle stiffness, and difficulty with movement. It is a combination of three active ingredients: carbidopa, levodopa, and entacapone.
Carbidopa works by increasing the effectiveness of levodopa, which is converted by the body into dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that helps regulate movement. Levodopa helps to improve the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease by increasing dopamine levels in the brain.
Entacapone helps to prolong the duration of levodopa’s effectiveness in the body, allowing for better control of Parkinson’s disease symptoms. Stalevo 150 is typically taken orally, with dosages and frequency of use varying depending on the individual patient’s needs and response to the medication.
Use and Dosage
Stalevo comes in the form of a tablet, typically taken 3 to 4 times a day, as prescribed by a doctor. Only take one tablet per dose, and swallow the tablet whole, without crushing, chewing, or splitting it. Doing so incorrectly may result in the wrong dose and can also cause staining of the mouth, dentures, and saliva.
To reduce nausea, Stalevo can be taken with food, but avoid a high-protein diet during treatment, unless directed otherwise by a doctor. Iron supplements or products containing iron should be taken as far apart in time from Stalevo as possible, as iron can reduce the medication’s absorption by the body. Additionally, taking the medication with a high-fat, high-calorie meal can delay the onset of its effects by up to two hours.
The correct dosage of Stalevo will depend on the individual patient’s medical condition and response to treatment, take it regularly and at the same time each day for maximum benefits.
Do not stop taking Stalevo tablets without consulting your doctor. Some conditions may become worse when the Stalevo is suddenly stopped. Also, if you suddenly stop using the medication, you may have withdrawal symptoms (such as anxiety, depression, confusion, fever, and muscle stiffness). To help prevent withdrawal, your doctor may lower your dose slowly. Withdrawal is more likely if you have used the tablet for a long time or in high doses.
Common Side Effects of Stalevo 150 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone):
- Back pain
- Blurred vision
- Changes in your sense of taste
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle cramps
- Skin rash or itching
- Stomach pain or upset
- Strange dreams
- Unusual skin changes
Serious Side Effects of Stalevo 150 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone):
- Black or tarry stools
- Blurred vision
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing
- Easy bleeding or bruising
- Eye pain
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Greatly increased eye blinking or twitching
- Involuntary movements (especially twitching of the eyelid)
- Mental/mood changes (such as confusion hallucinations thoughts of suicide)
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- New or worsening muscle spasms
- Persistent diarrhea
- Persistent sore throat
- Rapid breathing
- Signs of infection (persistent sore throat)
- Stomach/abdominal pain
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Thoughts of suicide
- Tingling of the hands or feet
- Unusual muscle stiffness
- Unusual strong urges (increased gambling sexual urges)
- Unusual tiredness
- Vision changes
- Vomit that looks like coffee grounds
Forms and Strength
Stalevo 150 (Carbidopa-Levodopa-Entacapone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Stalevo 150: Tablet
- Allergic reactions: Patients who are allergic to levodopa, carbidopa, entacapone, or any of the other ingredients in Stalevo should not take the medication.
- Cardiovascular events: Patients with a history of cardiovascular disease should be monitored closely while taking Stalevo, as it has been associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular events such as heart attack or stroke.
- Dosage adjustments: The dosage of Stalevo may need to be adjusted in patients with liver or kidney problems, or in those taking certain medications.
- Drinking alcohol: While taking Stalevo may increase the risk of side effects, such as drowsiness or dizziness. Talk to your healthcare provider about any potential interactions between alcohol and Stalevo before consuming alcohol while taking the medication.
- Drug interactions: Stalevo may interact with other medications, consult a healthcare provider before taking it to avoid adverse effects.
- Hallucinations and psychosis: Stalevo may cause hallucinations or psychosis, particularly in patients with a history of these conditions. If these symptoms occur, patients should seek medical attention immediately.
- Impulse control disorders: Stalevo has been associated with the development of impulse control disorders, such as compulsive gambling or shopping. Patients should be instructed to report any unusual behavior to their healthcare provider.
- Monitoring: Patients taking Stalevo should be monitored for changes in blood pressure, heart rate, and mental status.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Stalevo should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women, as its safety has not been established in these populations.
- Side effects: Stalevo may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and dyskinesia.
- Withdrawal symptoms: Abruptly discontinuing Stalevo may cause withdrawal symptoms such as muscle stiffness, fever, and confusion. Patients should be instructed to gradually taper off the medication under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Stalevo 150 be used for children?
Stalevo 150 is not recommended for use in children. It is only approved for use in adult patients with Parkinson’s disease.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Stalevo 150?
If you miss a dose of Stalevo 150, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
How long does it take for Stalevo 150 to work?
Stalevo 150 may start to improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease within a few hours of taking the medication. However, it may take several weeks to reach the full therapeutic effect of the medication.
Can Stalevo 150 be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Stalevo 150 should not be used during pregnancy unless the benefits clearly outweigh the risks. It is not known if Stalevo 150 is excreted in breast milk, talk to your healthcare provider about the possible risks and benefits before taking Stalevo 150 while breastfeeding.