Table of contents:
Prometrium is a synthetic form of progesterone, a hormone produced naturally by the body. It contains the hormone progesterone. Prometrium works by replacing the progesterone that the body no longer produces after menopause.
Prometrium is used to treat a variety of conditions, including amenorrhea, endometriosis, infertility, and abnormal bleeding. It is also used in combination with other treatments for menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and night sweats. It can also be used as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) in women. Prometrium is available as capsules containing micronized progesterone for oral administration.
Uses and Dosage
Prometrium is available in the form of a soft gel capsule that is taken orally once a day at bedtime, as prescribed by the doctor. If swallowing the capsule is difficult, it can be taken with a full glass of water while standing up. Follow the dosing schedule carefully, and the dosage is determined by the patient's medical condition and response to therapy.
- The recommended dosage of Prometrium for Uterus protection is usually 200 milligrams per day, taken as a single dose at bedtime for 12 continuous days per 28-day menstrual cycle.
- The recommended dosage for Prometrium when treating lack of menstrual periods is usually 400 milligrams taken orally once a day at bedtime for 10 consecutive days.
Common Side Effects of Prometrium (Progesterone):
- Acne or increased hair growth
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Changes in weight
- Hot flashes
- Joint pain
- Mild headache
- Mild nausea
- Spinning sensation
- Stomach cramps
- Vaginal itching, dryness, or discharge
Serious Side Effects of Prometrium (Progesterone):
- Breast lumps
- Chest pain or heavy feeling
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Loss of appetite
- Low fever
- Migraine headache
- Problems with vision, speech, and balance
- Sudden headache, confusion, pain behind the eyes
- Sudden numbness or weakness
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, mood changes)
- Unusual or unexpected vaginal bleeding
Form and strength
Prometrium (Progesterone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Prometrium: Soft Gel Capsule
- 100 mg
Progesterone: Soft Gel Caps
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- Using progestins with estrogens may increase the risk of heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, breast cancer, and blood clots.
- Using progestins with estrogens may increase the risk of dementia, based on a study of women aged 65 and older.
- Before taking Prometrium, individuals should inform their healthcare provider if they have a history of certain medical conditions, such as liver disease, blood clots, or stroke.
- Do not smoke. Smoking combined with Prometrium can further increase your risk for strokes, blood clots, high blood pressure, and heart attacks.
- Prometrium may interact with certain medications, so individuals should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking.
- Prometrium may cause side effects, such as dizziness, headache, breast swelling or tenderness, and others, so individuals should read the patient information carefully and report any concerning symptoms to their healthcare provider.
- Individuals should follow their healthcare provider's instructions for taking Prometrium, and should not use it to prevent conditions for which it is not indicated. Carefully consider the potential risks and benefits of taking Prometrium, and discuss any concerns or questions with their healthcare provider.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Prometrium used for?
Prometrium is a medication that contains the hormone progesterone. It is used to regulate menstrual periods, treat menstrual abnormalities, and as hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
How is Prometrium taken?
Prometrium is taken orally, usually once daily at bedtime.
Can Prometrium be used to prevent pregnancy?
No, Prometrium is not a contraceptive and should not be used to prevent pregnancy.
Can Prometrium be used during pregnancy?
Yes, Prometrium is sometimes used during pregnancy to support the early stages of the pregnancy. However, it should only be used under the guidance of a healthcare provider.
It's important to purchase Prometrium from verified Canadian pharmacy.