Table of contents:
Activella is a prescription medication used to treat moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms and vulvar and vaginal atrophy due to menopause. It is an oral contraceptive pill that combines two different hormones - an estrogen called estradiol and a progestin called norethindrone acetate. Activella works by replacing or supplementing the female hormones that decrease during menopause, and thus helps to relieve menopause symptoms and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
Activella is a medication prescribed to women to treat menopause symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness. Activella has been proven to be highly effective in relieving menopausal symptoms and helping women transition through this difficult time.
Uses and Dosage
Activella is typically administered orally in the form of a tablet and should be taken once daily as directed by a healthcare professional. The tablet can be taken with or without food and taken at the same time each day to help ensure maximum benefits. Follow the dosing schedule carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage or use the medication for a longer period than directed by your doctor.
For Activella, the standard dosing regimen involves taking one tablet orally once a day. Each tablet of Activella contains 1 milligram of estradiol and 0.5 milligrams of norethindrone. Follow your healthcare provider's guidance on dosing and do not exceed the recommended dose or duration of treatment.
Common Side Effects of Activella (Estradiol/Norethindrone Acetate):
- Back pain
- Breast pain
- Fluid retention
- Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach or abdominal cramps/bloating
- Vaginal yeast infection
Serious Side Effects of Activella (Estradiol/Norethindrone Acetate):
- Blood clots
- Breast cancer
- Cancer of the ovaries
- Changes in vision
- Endometrial cancer
- Enlargement of benign tumors
- Gallbladder disease
- Heart attack
- High blood pressure
- Liver problems
- Swelling or fluid retention
Form and strength
Activella (Estradiol/Norethindrone Acetate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Estradiol/Norethindrone Acetate: Tablet
- Activella is a combination of estrogen and progestin hormones used for hormone replacement therapy. Carefully consider the risks and benefits of this therapy.
- Activella may increase the risk of blood clots, stroke, heart attack, and other cardiovascular disorders.
- Activella may increase the risk of endometrial cancer.
- Activella may interact with other medications, tell your healthcare provider about all medications you are taking.
- Always inform your doctor and pharmacist about any other medications or supplements, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements, that you are taking as Activella (estradiol/norethindrone) may interact with certain medications or supplements. The list provided may not include all possible drug interactions with Activella and only lists the generic name of each medication.
- If you smoke or use tobacco, you should avoid taking estrogens as it can further increase the risk of stroke, blood clots, high blood pressure, and heart attack, especially in women over the age of 35.
- Long-term use of Activella may increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Long-term use of hormone replacement therapy, such as Activella, may increase the risk of dementia in women over 65 years old.
- Tell your doctor about recent or upcoming surgery, or extended periods of chair or bed confinement (such as during a long flight), as these situations can increase the risk of blood clots, particularly in conjunction with estrogen use. Your doctor may advise temporarily stopping the medication or taking extra precautions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Activella safe for everyone?
No, Activella is not safe for everyone. Consult your doctor before using this medication.
Are there any special instructions for storing Activella?
Activella should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and moisture, and out of reach of children.
Can Activella interact with other medications?
Yes, Activella may interact with other medications. It is important to inform your healthcare provider of all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements.
It's important to purchase Activella from verified Canadian pharmacy.