Table of contents:
Plendil (generically known as Felodipine) is a medication used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and chronic stable angina pectoris (chest pain that occurs due to reduced blood flow to the heart). It belongs to a class of drugs known as calcium channel blockers.
Felodipine works by blocking the entry of calcium into the cells of the heart and blood vessels, which then causes the blood vessels to relax and widen. This can help lower blood pressure, prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems.
Uses and Dosage
Plendil (Felodipine) comes as a sustained-release tablet that should be taken by mouth once a day on an empty stomach, or as directed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the tablet, as it could release all the drug at once and increase the risk of side effects. You should also not split the tablets unless they have a score line, and your doctor or pharmacist has instructed you to do so. You should swallow the whole or split tablet without crushing or chewing.
Use Plendil regularly to get the most benefit from it. Try to take it at the same time each day as directed and continue taking it even if you feel well. Most people with high blood pressure do not experience symptoms. Plendil is not effective if only taken when chest pain occurs. Take the tablets regularly as prescribed by your doctor to help prevent chest pain.
The recommended adult dose of Plendil (Felodipine) ranges from 2.5 mg to 10 mg once daily, taken orally on an empty stomach or as directed by a doctor. The dosage is based on the patient's medical condition and response to therapy. Take the medication regularly at the same time each day as directed, even if the patient feels well.
Common Side Effects of Plendil (Felodipine):
- Fast heart rate
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin)
- Stomach upset as your body adjusts to the medication
Serious Side Effects of Plendil (Felodipine):
- Cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, and sore throat
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Joint pain or muscle cramps
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Stomach pain
- Swelling of the hands/ankles/feet (edema)
- Urinating more than usual
Form and Strength
Plendil is available in the following forms and strength:
Plendil: Sustained Release Tablet
Felodipine: Sustained Release Tablet
- Hypotension (low blood pressure): Felodipine can cause a significant drop in blood pressure, especially when first starting the medication or when the dose is increased. This can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and other symptoms.
- Heart failure: Felodipine should be used with caution in patients with heart failure, as it can worsen their condition.
- Liver disease: Felodipine is metabolized by the liver, so it should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment may be necessary in such patients.
- Grapefruit juice interaction: Grapefruit juice can increase the absorption of felodipine, leading to increased blood levels of the drug and an increased risk of side effects. Patients should avoid grapefruit juice while taking felodipine.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Felodipine should only be used in pregnancy and breastfeeding if the potential benefits outweigh the risks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Plendil?
If you miss a dose of Plendil, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
What should I do if I accidentally take too much Plendil?
If you take too much Plendil, you should contact your doctor or emergency services immediately. Overdose symptoms may include excessive dizziness, weakness, and fainting.
Can Plendil be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Plendil should not be used during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary. It is not known if Plendil can pass into breast milk; therefore, do not use it while breastfeeding unless under medical control.
How long does Plendil take to work?
Plendil may start to lower blood pressure within a few hours of taking the first dose, but it may take several weeks for the full effects to be seen.
It's important to purchase Plendil from verified Canadian pharmacy.