Table of contents:
Exforge HCT is a prescription medicine used to treat high blood pressure, also known as hypertension, in adults whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled with a combination of two or more blood pressure medications.
Exforge HCT works by using its three active substances - amlodipine, valsartan, and hydrochlorothiazide - to lower high blood pressure (hypertension) in different ways. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker that relaxes blood vessels to improve blood flow, while valsartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker that reduces the narrowing of blood vessels. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that reduces the volume of fluid in the blood, thereby reducing blood pressure. Together, these ingredients work synergistically to lower blood pressure and help manage hypertension.
Exforge HCT is meant to be taken under the guidance of a healthcare provider and is not suitable for everyone, especially individuals with severe hepatic or renal impairment, anuria, or hypersensitivity to any of the components present in this medicine.
Uses and Dosage
Exforge HCT is available as a film-coated tablet that is taken orally, with or without food, as prescribed by your doctor. Usually, it is taken once a day, but it is best to avoid taking it too close to bedtime as it may cause you to wake up to urinate. The dosage may vary based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
To ensure the maximum effectiveness of Exforge HCT, take it regularly at the same time each day. It may take up to 2 weeks for the medication to take full effect, so do not stop taking it unless instructed by your doctor. Even if you begin to feel better, continue to take Exforge HCT as prescribed.
Exforge HCT is usually prescribed at a starting dose of 5 mg/160 mg/12.5 mg (amlodipine/valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide) taken orally once daily. Your healthcare provider may adjust your dosage depending on your blood pressure levels and any potential side effects you may experience. The maximum daily dose of Exforge HCT should not exceed 10 mg/320 mg/25 mg (amlodipine/valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide) taken orally once a day.
Common Side Effects of Exforge HCT (Amlodipine/Valsartan/Hydrochlorthiazide):
- Back pain
- Muscle spasms
- Sinus pain
- Sore throat
- Stuffy nose
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Exforge HCT (Amlodipine/Valsartan/Hydrochlorthiazide):
- Blurred vision
- Choking feeling
- Eye pain
- Feeling jittery
- Feeling unsteady
- Fluttering in your chest
- Increased thirst or urination
- Irregular heartbeats
- Limp feeling
- Little or no urination
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle weakness
- Numbness or tingling
- Seeing halos around lights
- Severe weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Slurred speech
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Tunnel vision
- Unusual skin rash
Form and Strength
Exforge HCT (Amlodipine/Valsartan/Hydrochlorthiazide) is available in the following forms and strength:
Exforge HCT: Film Coated Tablet
- If you miss a dose of Exforge HCT, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take a double dose.
- Do not take Exforge HCT during pregnancy, especially in the second and third trimesters. If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, you should speak with your healthcare provider before taking Exforge HCT.
- Let your healthcare provider know if you have any other medical conditions, especially liver or kidney disease or electrolyte imbalances.
- Exforge HCT may cause dizziness, fainting, or lightheadedness, especially during the first few days of treatment or after an increase in dosage. Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- Exforge HCT can cause your body to lose too much water and salt, leading to dehydration. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication.
- Allergic reactions to Exforge HCT can occur in rare cases. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as rash, itching, difficulty breathing, or facial swelling.
- Exforge HCT has the potential to interact with other medications, including other blood pressure medications, potassium-sparing diuretics, and lithium. Inform your healthcare provider about any other prescription or over-the-counter medications, vitamins, or herbal supplements you are taking.
- Talk to your healthcare provider before starting Exforge HCT if you have ever had an allergic reaction to amlodipine, valsartan, hydrochlorothiazide, or any other medications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Exforge HCT safe for everyone?
Exforge HCT is not suitable for everyone, especially individuals with severe hepatic or renal impairment, anuria, or hypersensitivity to any of the components present in this medicine.
How long does it take for Exforge HCT to start working?
Most people will start to see a lowering of their blood pressure within 2 to 4 weeks of starting treatment.
Can Exforge HCT be crushed or split?
No, Exforge HCT should not be crushed or split. The tablets should be swallowed whole with water.
Is Exforge HCT addictive?
No, Exforge HCT is not addictive.
Can Exforge HCT cause hyperkalemia (high potassium levels)?
Hydrochlorothiazide, one of the components of Exforge HCT, can cause hypokalemia (low potassium levels) in some people. However, hyperkalemia (high potassium levels) is not a common side effect of Exforge HCT.
How often do I need to have my blood pressure checked while taking Exforge HCT?
Your healthcare provider will determine how often you need to have your blood pressure checked while taking Exforge HCT, but it is typically recommended to have it checked at least once a month.
What's the best time of day to take Exforge HCT?
Take Exforge HCT in the morning or early afternoon. Because it contains hydrochlorothiazide, taking this medication can make you urinate more often. To avoid getting up at night, you might want to avoid taking it too close to bedtime.
It's important to purchase Exforge HCT from verified Canadian pharmacy.