Table of contents:
Tribenzor is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is a combination medication containing three active ingredients: olmesartan medoxomil amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide.
Olmesartan medoxomil works by blocking the vasoconstrictor effects of angiotensin II, a chemical in the body that can cause blood vessels to narrow. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker that relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that helps the body eliminate excess salt and water which can also help lower blood pressure.
Tribenzor is typically used when blood pressure is not well controlled on a single medication. Take Tribenzor as prescribed and make any necessary lifestyle changes to help control blood pressure.
Uses and Dosage
Tribenzor is a tablet medication that is taken orally with or without food as per the doctor's instructions typically once a day. To avoid the need to wake up to urinate at night take Tribenzor at least four hours before bedtime. The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
To get the most benefit from Tribenzor take the tablet regularly at the same time each day. Keep taking the medication even if you feel well as most people with high blood pressure do not feel sick. It can take up to two weeks to get the full benefits of the medication.
The recommended dosage of Tribenzor is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. According to the manufacturer the typical starting dose for Tribenzor is 20 mg/5 mg/12.5 mg (olmesartan/amlodipine/hydrochlorothiazide) taken orally once daily. The dosage may be increased in two-week intervals as needed but the maximum recommended dose is 40/10/25 mg. Dose selection should be individualized based on previous therapy and the patient's response to treatment. Follow your doctor's instructions and not use a larger or smaller dosage or take Tribenzor for longer than recommended.
If you are also taking bile acid-binding resins such as cholestyramine or colestipol to lower cholesterol, take Tribenzor at least four hours before or four to six hours after taking these medications.
Common Side Effects of Tribenzor (Olmesartan/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide):
- Muscle spasms
- Painful urination
- Cold-like symptoms
- Swelling of legs or arms
- Swollen joints
- Tired feeling
Serious Side Effects of Tribenzor (Olmesartan/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide):
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty breathing
- Dry mouth
- Eye pain
- Fast heartbeats
- Feeling restless or unsteady
- Increased thirst
- Joint swelling
- Lack of energy
- Little or no urine
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Muscle spasms
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Seeing halos around lights
- Severe or ongoing diarrhea with weight loss
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Tunnel vision
- Unusual skin rash
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Worsening chest pain
Form and Strength
Tribenzor (Olmesartan/Amlodipine/Hydrochlorothiazide) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Tribenzor may cause low blood pressure especially in patients who are dehydrated or taking other medications that lower blood pressure.
- Tribenzor may cause worsening kidney function or even kidney failure especially in patients with pre-existing kidney disease.
- Tribenzor can cause liver problems including liver failure especially in patients with pre-existing liver disease.
- Some people may have an allergic reaction to Tribenzor which can be serious or life-threatening.
- Tribenzor can cause angioedema, a condition that causes swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, arms, or legs and can be life-threatening in some cases.
- Tribenzor may harm a developing fetus and it is not known if the medication passes into breast milk.
- Electrolyte imbalance: Tribenzor may cause an imbalance in electrolytes such as potassium sodium and chloride.
- Tribenzor may affect blood sugar levels and may require close monitoring in patients with diabetes.
- Tribenzor may increase the risk of gout, a type of arthritis caused by the buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints.
- Tribenzor may cause elevated levels of calcium in the blood.
- Let the surgeon and anesthesiologist know that you are taking Tribenzor if you are scheduled to have surgery as it can affect blood pressure and anesthesia.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Tribenzor?
If a dose of Tribenzor is missed it should be taken as soon as possible. If it is close to the time for the next dose the missed dose should be skipped, and the regular dosing schedule should be resumed.
Can Tribenzor cause erectile dysfunction?
There is limited evidence suggesting that use of hydrochlorothiazide one of the active ingredients in Tribenzor may be associated with erectile dysfunction. However erectile dysfunction is not a common side effect of Tribenzor.
How long does it take for Tribenzor to work?
The effects of Tribenzor may be seen within 1-2 weeks of starting the medication.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Tribenzor?
Do not drink too much alcohol while taking Tribenzor as it may increase certain side effects such as dizziness and lightheadedness.
Can Tribenzor cause weight gain?
Weight gain is not a common side effect of Tribenzor.
It's important to purchase Tribenzor from verified Canadian pharmacy.