Table of contents:
Inhibace Plus is a prescription medication used to treat hypertension when other treatments have failed to effectively control blood pressure levels. It is a combination drug containing two active ingredients: cilazapril and hydrochlorothiazide.
Cilazapril belongs to a class of medications known as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, which are used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and heart failure. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic, which means it helps the body get rid of excess water by increasing the amount of urine produced.
Use and Dosage
Inhibace Plus should be taken orally in tablet form and can be taken with or without food once or twice daily, or as prescribed by a doctor. Take the medication at least 4 hours before bedtime to avoid the need to wake up to urinate. If taking cholestyramine or colestipol, take cilazapril/hydrochlorothiazide at least 4 hours before or after either of those drugs.
The dosage of Inhibace Plus will depend on individual medical condition and response to therapy. To ensure maximum efficacy, take Inhibace Plus regularly at the same time(s) each day, even if feeling well, as high blood pressure may not produce noticeable symptoms. It may take several weeks for the drug to take full effect. If you have any questions about dosing, consult with your doctor or pharmacist.
Take Inhibace Plus exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Inhibace Plus (Cilazapril/HCTZ):
- Abdominal pain
- Cold-like symptoms (e.g., runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing)
- Cough (dry or persistent)
- Decreased appetite
- Increased frequency of urination
- Increased sweating
- Rash, itching
- Swollen mouth
- Taste changes
- Trouble sleeping
- Unusual tiredness
Serious Side Effects of Inhibace Plus (Cilazapril/HCTZ):
- A rash that spreads quickly
- A rash combined with fever or discomfort
- Abdominal pain on the upper left side
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Decreased urination
- Difficulty speaking or breathing
- Discolored patches or lumps on the skin that change slowly over time
- Eye pain
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Frequent urination
- General feeling of being unwell
- Swelling of the face, mouth, hands, or feet
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased thirst or excessive eating
- Joint and muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
- Numbness or weakness in arm, leg, or any part of the body
- Peeling, a rash covering a large area of the body
- Pressure in the eye
- Rapid heartbeat
- Sensation of fullness of the chest
- Signs of a severe skin reaction such as blistering
- Signs of anemia (low red blood cells; e.g., dizziness, pale skin, unusual tiredness or weakness, shortness of breath)
- Signs of clotting problems (e.g., unusual nosebleeds, bruising, blood in urine, coughing blood, bleeding gums, cuts that do not stop bleeding)
- Signs of liver problems such as abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, itching skin, yellow eyes, or skin
- Signs of low blood pressure such as dizziness
- Skin rash (with or without itching)
- Sudden chest pain or pain radiating to back
- Sudden headache
- Swollen abdomen
- Unexplained weight loss, poor wound healing, infections, or fruity breath odor
- Vision changes
Forms and Strength
Inhibace Plus (Cilazapril/HCTZ) is available in the following forms and strength:
Inhibace Inhibace Plus: Tablet
- Allergic reactions: Patients who are allergic to angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or diuretics may also be allergic to Inhibace Plus.
- Kidney and liver problems: it can affect the functioning of the kidneys and liver, so caution is advised for patients with pre-existing kidney or liver problems.
- Electrolyte imbalances: Inhibace Plus can cause electrolyte imbalances, so it must be used with caution in patients with conditions that affect electrolyte levels, such as hypokalemia, hypercalcemia, and hyponatremia.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: The use of Inhibace Plus during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not recommended.
- Surgery: Patients who are scheduled for surgery should inform their healthcare provider that they are taking Inhibace Plus, as it may affect blood pressure and fluid balance during and after surgery.
- Hypotension: Inhibace Plus can cause low blood pressure (hypotension), which can be dangerous for some patients, such as those with heart disease, kidney disease, or liver disease.
- Hyperkalemia: Inhibace Plus can cause elevated levels of potassium in the blood (hyperkalemia), especially in patients with kidney problems or those taking potassium supplements.
- Diabetes: Inhibace Plus can affect blood sugar levels, so caution is advised for patients with diabetes.
- Dehydration: it can cause dehydration, so patients should drink plenty of fluids while taking it.
- Interactions with other medications: Inhibace Plus can interact with other medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), potassium supplements, and certain antidepressants, so patients should inform their healthcare provider of all the medications they are taking before starting Inhibace Plus.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I drink alcohol while taking Inhibace Plus?
Do not drink alcohol while taking Inhibace Plus, as it can increase the risk of side effects like dizziness and lightheadedness.
Can Inhibace Plus cause interactions with other medications?
Yes, Inhibace Plus can interact with certain medications, including nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), potassium supplements, and some antidepressants. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking before starting Inhibace Plus.
Can Inhibace Plus cause weight gain?
Weight gain is not a common side effect of Inhibace Plus. However, some patients may experience weight gain from fluid retention, which can be a side effect of the medication.
How long does it take for Inhibace Plus to start working?
It can take several weeks for Inhibace Plus to reach its full effect in lowering blood pressure. Patients should continue to take their medication as prescribed, even if they do not notice any immediate improvement.
It's important to purchase Inhibace Plus from verified Canadian pharmacy.