Table of contents:
Diovan generically known as valsartan is a prescription medication that can help to regulate high blood pressure and reduce the risk of cardiovascular events. It belongs to a class of drugs known as angiotensin receptor blockers. It works by blocking the action of certain chemicals in the body that constrict blood vessels and raise blood pressure.
Diovan can help lower high blood pressure, which can reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, and kidney problems. This is because high blood pressure can put undue strain on the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys, leading to health complications over time. By lowering high blood pressure, Diovan can help reduce the risk of these health problems.
Uses and Dosage
Valsartan comes in the form of a tablet to be taken orally with or without food, as prescribed by your doctor, usually once or twice daily. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. For children, the dosage is also based on their weight. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed, but the maximum dose should not exceed 320 mg per day.
The typical dosing for Diovan (valsartan) for hypertension is 80 mg to 320 mg taken orally once a day. Your doctor may adjust your dose as needed, but the maximum dose should not exceed 320 mg per day. If you are taking Diovan for heart failure, the recommended dose is 40 mg to 160 mg taken twice daily.
Common Side Effects of Valsartan:
- Blurred vision
- Stuffy nose
- Throat irritation
Serious Side Effects of Valsartan:
- Change in urinary output
- Chest pain
- Fluttering in your chest
- Irregular heartbeats, and
- Loss of movement
- Persistent vomiting
- Pounding heartbeats
- Rapid weight gain
- Shortness of breath.
- Symptoms of hyperkalemia or high potassium level in the blood (palpitations, muscle weakness)
- Tingly feeling
Form and strength
Diovan (Valsartan) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Watch for allergic reactions while taking valsartan; do not take it if you are allergic to valsartan or inactive ingredients. Signs of hypersensitivity reaction include severe dizziness, skin rashes, hives, swelling of face, breathing difficulty; seek emergency help.
- If you are pregnant, do not use Diovan. If you become pregnant while taking this medicine, stop using it immediately and notify your doctor.
- If you have diabetes or kidney disease, you should not take Diovan with any medication that contains aliskiren, which is a blood pressure medicine. You may also need to avoid taking Diovan with aliskiren if you have other conditions that affect your kidneys.
- Diovan can cause a condition known as rhabdomyolysis, which is a breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue that can lead to kidney failure. If you experience unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine, call your doctor right away.
- Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything that requires alertness when taking Diovan or after using alcohol or marijuana (cannabis). Avoid alcoholic beverages. Talk to your doctor if you are using marijuana (cannabis).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does Diovan work?
Diovan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) medication that works by blocking the action of angiotensin II, a hormone that causes blood vessels to constrict and blood pressure to rise.
Can Diovan be used in combination with other medications?
Yes, Diovan can be used in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. However, you need to speak to your doctor before starting any new medications.
What is the recommended dosage for Diovan?
The recommended dosage for Diovan will vary depending on the individual and the condition being treated. Follow your doctor's instructions for the correct dosage and usage of this medication.
Is Diovan safe for long-term use?
Yes, Diovan is considered safe for long-term use. However, speak to your doctor about any risks or side effects that you may experience while taking this medication.
It's important to purchase Diovan from verified Canadian pharmacy.