Table of contents:
Prinzide is a combination medication that contains two drugs, Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide, which work together to lower high blood pressure. It is typically prescribed when a patient requires two or more medications to control their blood pressure.
Lisinopril is an ACE (Angiotensin Converting Enzyme) inhibitor that works by relaxing the blood vessels in the body, thereby reducing the workload on the heart, and improving blood flow. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic, which works by removing excess salt and water in the body, thereby reducing the amount of fluid in the blood vessels, and lowering blood pressure. Together, these drugs help to reduce blood pressure and improve heart function.
Uses and Dosage
Prinzide tablet should be taken orally as prescribed by your doctor. It can be taken with or without food, usually once every day in the morning. To prevent the need to urinate frequently at night, it is recommended to take Prinzide at least 4 hours before bedtime. If you also take cholesterol-lowering drugs, take them at least 4 to 6 hours before or after Prinzide.
Prinzide is typically prescribed at a starting dose of 10 mg/12.5 mg (lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide) to be taken orally once daily. Your healthcare provider may adjust your dosage depending on how effectively it lowers your blood pressure and if you experience any adverse effects. The maximum dosage of Prinzide is 80 mg/50 mg (lisinopril/hydrochlorothiazide) to be taken orally once daily.
Take Prinzide regularly at the same time each day to get the most benefit from it. Even if you feel well, continue taking this medication as directed. If your condition does not improve or worsens, such as if your blood pressure readings remain high or increase, notify your doctor.
Take the tablet exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose of the tablet, do not take a double dose to make up for it. Instead, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule as prescribed by your doctor. If you are uncertain about what to do after missing a dose, seek advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Common Side Effects of Prinzide (Lisinopril/Hctz):
- Depressed mood
- Mild skin itching or rash
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Prinzide (Lisinopril/Hctz):
- Body aches
- Chest pain
- Feeling light-headed
- Flu symptoms
- Muscle weakness
- Pounding or uneven heartbeats
- Rapid weight gain
- Tired feeling
- Urinating more or less than usual, or not at all
Form and Strength
Prinzide (Lisinopril/Hctz) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Patients who are allergic to either lisinopril or hydrochlorothiazide should not take Prinzide.
- Prinzide should be used with caution in patients with impaired renal function. The dosage may need to be adjusted accordingly.
- Prinzide should be used with caution in patients with impaired liver function.
- Prinzide can cause an electrolyte imbalance, especially in patients who have pre-existing kidney problems or are taking other medications that can affect electrolyte levels.
- Prinzide is not recommended during pregnancy as it can be harmful to the fetus. It is unclear whether Prinzide is passed into breast milk, so do not use Prinzide if you are breastfeeding women.
- Patients who are undergoing surgery should inform their healthcare provider that they are taking Prinzide, as it can affect blood pressure and fluid levels in the body.
- Some patients may experience an allergic reaction to Prinzide, which can include symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of the face or throat. If an allergic reaction is suspected, immediate medical attention should be sought.
- Prinzide can affect blood sugar levels, so patients with diabetes should monitor their blood sugar closely while taking this medication.
- Prinzide can increase the risk of gout in some patients.
- Patients with lupus may experience a worsening of symptoms while taking Prinzide.
- Prinzide can cause elevated levels of calcium in the blood in some patients.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Prinzide (lisinopril / hydrochlorothiazide) to start working?
You might notice a change in your blood pressure within hours of taking Prinzide (lisinopril / hydrochlorothiazide). But it can take about 2 to 4 weeks to see the full blood pressure-lowering effect from this medication.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Prinzide?
You should avoid alcohol while taking Prinzide, as it may increase the blood pressure-lowering effects and increase the risk of side effects.
Can Prinzide cause dehydration?
Hydrochlorothiazide, one of the active ingredients in Prinzide, is a diuretic that can increase urination and cause dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids while taking Prinzide to prevent dehydration.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Prinzide?
If you miss a dose of Prinzide, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
It's important to purchase Prinzide from verified Canadian pharmacy.