Table of contents:
Eurax Cream is a topical medication used to relieve itching and skin irritation caused by various conditions such as itchy dermatitis, dry eczema, allergic rashes, hives, chickenpox, and scabies. It contains the active ingredient crotamiton and is available in cream.
Crotamiton works by killing the mites that cause scabies and by reducing skin inflammation. It provides quick relief from itching and skin irritation which can last up to 6 to10 hours after each application.
Use and Dosage
Eurax Cream is applied to the skin. To treat skin conditions such as itching, other than scabies, apply a thin layer of Eurax Cream to the affected areas until the medication is completely absorbed. Repeat as needed, as directed by your doctor, typically 2 to 3 times daily. Additionally, avoid applying crotamiton on the face, eyes, mouth, vagina, and on any skin that shows signs of inflammation, rawness, or fluid oozing.
Use Eurax Cream to treat scabies, begin by taking a bath or shower and removing any scaly or crusted skin by rubbing gently. After towel-drying, apply a thin layer of cream or lotion all over the skin from the chin down to the toes, including skin folds/creases, between the fingers and toes, and on the soles of the feet. Trim your nails short and apply the medication under the nails since scabies mites can often live there. You can use a toothbrush to apply the medication under the fingernails, but do not use the same toothbrush in your mouth, as it may cause poisoning.
Apply the medication again after 24 hours and change clothing, towels, and bed sheets the morning after each application. Also, wash all clothing, towels, and bedding used in the 3 days prior to treatment in hot water and dry them in a hot dryer (or dry-clean) to eliminate the mites and prevent them from returning. Items that cannot be washed or dry-cleaned should be removed from contact with the body for at least 72 hours. Wait for 48 hours after the last application of Eurax Cream before bathing to remove the medication from your skin.
After treating scabies, you may still experience itching for a few weeks. Consult your doctor for more information about other medications that can help relieve the itching. Notify your doctor if your condition persists or worsens.
Common Side Effects of Eurax Cream (Crotamiton):
- Mild itching
- New rash
Serious Side Effects of Eurax Cream (Crotamiton):
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Severe burning, stinging, or irritation after using this medicine
Forms and Strength
Eurax Cream (Crotamiton) is available in the following forms and strength:
Eurax Cream: Cream
- Allergic reaction: If you are allergic to crotamiton or any of the other ingredients in Eurax, you should not use this medication.
- Pre-existing skin conditions: If you have any skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, you should consult your doctor before using Eurax.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: There is limited information about the safety of crotamiton use during pregnancy and breastfeeding. You should discuss with your doctor the potential benefits and risks of using Eurax in these situations.
- Children below 3: Eurax is not recommended for use in children under 3 years.
- Eye contact: You should avoid getting Eurax in your eyes as it can cause irritation.
- Concomitant use with other medications: You should inform your doctor about all other medications you are taking, including prescription, over the counter, and herbal products as they may interact with crotamiton.
- Application to open wounds or infected areas: You should not apply Eurax to any open wounds or infected areas of the skin.
- Sensitivity to alcohol: Crotamiton lotion contains alcohol and may cause skin irritation or dryness in people with alcohol sensitivity.
- Use on genital areas: Eurax should not be used on the genital area, unless directed by a healthcare provider.
- Overuse: Overuse or prolonged use of Eurax can cause skin irritation, burning, or stinging.
- Sun exposure: Using Eurax can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. You should protect your skin from the sun by wearing protective clothing and using sunscreen.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Eurax Cream suitable for children?
Eurax Cream is not recommended for use in children under 3 unless directed by a doctor.
Can Eurax Cream be used on open wounds?
Eurax Cream should not be used on open wounds. It is intended for use on intact skin only.
Can I use Eurax Cream if I have sensitive skin?
People with sensitive skin should exercise caution when using Eurax Cream. If you experience any adverse reactions, such as redness or itching, discontinue use and contact your doctor.
Do I need a prescription to buy Eurax Cream?
Eurax Cream can be bought over the counter without a prescription. However, it is always a good idea to consult with a doctor if you have any concerns about its use.
How soon can I expect relief from itching after using Eurax Cream?
Relief from itching may be experienced soon after applying Eurax Cream. However, the duration of relief may vary depending on the severity and cause of the itching.
It's important to purchase Eurax Cream from verified Canadian pharmacy.