Table of contents:
Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) is a prescription medication commonly used to treat high blood pressure. It belongs to a group of drugs known as centrally acting antihypertensive. Catapres works by slowing down the heart rate and relaxing the blood vessels, allowing for better blood flow. This results in a decrease in blood pressure, making it an effective treatment option for hypertension and certain other medical issues.
Clonidine Hcl is a medication used alone or with other medications to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Lowering high blood pressure helps reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, and kidney problems.
Catapres is also known to have off-label uses for the management of opioid withdrawal and pain relief. It is used to treat high blood pressure, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and certain types of chronic pain.
Uses and Dosage
Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) comes in the form of an oral tablet and should be taken by mouth with or without food, as directed by your doctor. The usual dose is twice a day, with the larger dose taken at bedtime. If the doses are not equal, it is recommended that the larger dose be taken at bedtime to reduce the risk of any potential side effects. It is important to discuss the potential risks and benefits of taking this medication with your doctor before starting the treatment.
For oral dosage form (tablets): Adults should take 0.1 milligram (mg) of Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) two times a day, in the morning and at bedtime. Your doctor may adjust the dose as needed, with the usual dose being 0.2 mg to 0.6 mg per day, divided and taken two times a day. It is important to discuss any potential risks or side effects associated with taking this medication with your doctor before starting the treatment.
Common Side Effects of Clonidine Hcl:
- Dry mouth
- Paleness of the skin
Serious Side Effects of Clonidine Hcl:
- Abdominal pain
- Behavioral changes or abnormal behavior
- Muscle pain
- Slow heartbeat
- Withdrawal symptoms
Form and Strength
Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 0.1 mg
- 0.025 mg
- 0.1 mg
- 0.2 mg
- 0.3 mg
- Do not stop taking your Clonidine Hcl medication or lower the dosage without first consulting your doctor. Stopping or lowering your dose without consulting your doctor could lead to serious side effects or a decrease in the effectiveness of the medication.
- Alcohol may affect how well your Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) medication works. Alcohol can interact with many medications, including Catapres, and can cause changes in how the body metabolizes the drug.
- Do not take Clonidine Hcl to treat any other conditions or complaints unless your doctor has specifically advised you to do so. Taking Catapres for any condition other than what it is prescribed for could cause serious side effects or a decrease in the medication's effectiveness.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you become pregnant while taking Catapres. Your doctor may need to adjust the dosage of the medication or take other precautions while you are pregnant.
- Be careful when driving or operating machinery until you know how Catapres (Clonidine Hcl) affects you. Catapres, like other medicines used to treat high blood pressure, can cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- Tell your surgeon or anesthetist that you are taking Catapres before having any kind of surgery, including dental surgery or emergency treatment. This is because Catapres may affect other medicines used during surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How quickly does clonidine work?
How long does it take to work? The clonidine IR oral tablet starts working to lower your blood pressure 30 to 60 minutes after you take a dose.
How long does Catapres last?
Peak plasma clonidine levels are attained in approximately 1 to 3 hours. Following intravenous administration, clonidine displays biphasic disposition with a distribution half-life of about 20 minutes and an elimination half-life ranging from 12 to 16 hours.
What should I avoid while taking clonidine?
You should avoid over the counter [OTC] medicines for appetite control, asthma, colds, cough, hay fever, or sinus problems, since they may tend to increase your blood pressure. Clonidine will add to the effects of alcohol and other central nervous system (CNS) depressants.
When is the best time to take clonidine?
Clonidine is usually taken in the morning and at bedtime. If you take different doses of this medicine at each dosing time, it may be best to take the larger dose at bedtime. Clonidine may be taken with or without food.
It's important to purchase Catapres from verified Canadian pharmacy.