Table of contents:
Loniten is a medication commonly used to treat severely high blood pressure that is causing symptoms or damage to vital organs. It contains the active ingredient minoxidil. Minoxidil belongs to a group of medications known as vasodilators. It works by relaxing the blood vessels in the body, allowing blood to flow more easily.
Loniten can be taken in conjunction with a diuretic to control salt and water retention and a beta-adrenergic blocking agent to reduce the heart's workload. It is used to control severely elevated blood pressure that is not manageable with a water pill and two other blood pressure medications. After the first dose of minoxidil, blood pressure usually starts to go down within one-half hour.
Uses and Dosage
Loniten is an oral medication available in tablet form, to be taken by mouth with or without food as directed by your healthcare provider. The dosage is typically once or twice a day and is based on your medical condition and response to treatment, with children's doses also based on weight. Your doctor may initiate treatment with a low dose and gradually increase it.
Take Loniten and any other blood pressure medication regularly to get the most benefit from them. If needed, set reminders to take them at the same time each day. It is possible to have high blood pressure without symptoms. So, do not discontinue taking the medication even if you feel well.
The initial dose of minoxidil for adults is 5 mg divided into two doses of 2.5 mg each day. However, if the desired blood pressure is not attained, the doctor may increase the dose to 10 mg daily after 3 days, 20 mg daily after an additional 3 days, and 40 mg daily after a further 3 days. The prescribed dosage for children under 12 years old is based on their weight, with the recommended daily dose set to 0.2 mg per kilogram, split into two equal doses, and determined by the doctor.
Common Side Effects of Loniten (Minoxidil):
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Changes in color, length, or thickness of body or facial hair
Serious Side Effects of Loniten (Minoxidil):
- A light-headed feeling, like you might pass out
- Chest pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Fast or pounding heartbeats
- Fluid build-up in the lungs
- New or worsening chest pain
- Rapid weight gain, especially in your face and midsection
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in your legs, ankles, or feet
Form and Strength
Loniten (Minoxidil) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 2.5 mg
- 10 mg
- 2.5 mg
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- Loniten is a potent medication used for severe high blood pressure, and its use should be carefully monitored by a healthcare professional.
- Loniten can cause serious side effects such as low blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and chest pain. These side effects may be less likely if blood pressure is controlled.
- Loniten can cause increased hair growth, especially in women.
- Loniten should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding unless the potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Loniten may interact with other medications, inform your doctor of any medications you are taking before starting Loniten.
- Loniten may cause sodium and water retention, which can exacerbate heart failure or kidney disease.
- Loniten may cause an increase in heart rate, which can be dangerous in people with certain heart conditions.
- Loniten should not be stopped abruptly, as this can lead to a sudden increase in blood pressure.
- Loniten may cause changes in the electrocardiogram (ECG), monitor the ECG during treatment.
- Loniten should be used with caution in people with a history of angina, stroke, or peripheral vascular disease.
- Loniten should be used with caution in people with liver disease, as the drug is metabolized in the liver.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Who should not take Loniten?
Loniten is not recommended for people with certain medical conditions, such as heart disease or liver disease. It is important to disclose your complete medical history as well as any other medications you are taking to your doctor before taking Loniten.
Is Loniten safe to take during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Loniten should only be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks. It is important to talk to your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
How long does it take for Loniten to start working?
Loniten may take several weeks to start working, and your doctor will monitor your blood pressure regularly to determine whether the medication is effective.
Can Loniten be used to treat other conditions besides high blood pressure?
No, Loniten is only approved for the treatment of severe hypertension and is not used to treat any other conditions.
Can Loniten cause hair growth?
Yes, one possible side effect of Loniten is increased hair growth. This is more common in women and may occur on the face and body.
It's important to purchase Loniten from verified Canadian pharmacy.