Table of contents:
Urso Forte is a prescription medication used to treat various liver diseases, including primary biliary cirrhosis and certain types of gallstones. It contains the active ingredient ursodiol (also known as ursodeoxycholic acid or UDCA).
Ursodiol is in a class of medications called gallstone dissolution agents. It works by reducing the amount of cholesterol produced by the liver and enhancing the flow of bile from the liver to the intestines.
Use and Dosage
Ursodiol is usually taken orally as a tablet two to four times a day with or without food to treat gallstones and twice daily to prevent gallstones during rapid weight loss. Swallow half the tablet with water without chewing it, as it has a strong bitter taste. Store the remaining half tablet in a separate container from the whole tablets and use it within 28 days.
URSO Forte scored tablets can be broken in halves to provide the recommended dosage. To break the tablet easily, place it on a flat surface with the scored section on top, hold the tablet with your thumbs placed close to the scored part of the tablet, apply gentle pressure, and snap the tablet segments apart. Do not use segments that break incorrectly.
URSO Forte are prescribed for the treatment of Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, and their adult recommended dosage is 13-15 mg/kg/day administered in two to four divided doses with food. According to each patient’s needs, the dosing regimen should be adjusted at the discretion of the physician.
Follow the prescription label instructions carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part that is unclear. To take the correct dose, place the tablet on a flat surface with the scored section on top and snap it in half while holding it gently with your thumbs. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns about breaking, taking, or storing the tablets. Do not stop taking ursodiol without consulting your doctor, even if you are feeling better.
Common Side Effects of Urso Forte (Ursodiol):
- Back pain
- Body aches
- Cold symptoms
- Cough or
- Flu symptoms
- Hair loss
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Stomach upset or pain
- Tired feeling
Serious Side Effects of Urso Forte (Ursodiol):
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Loss of appetite
- Mouth sores
- Skin sores and
- Sore throat
- Sudden weakness or ill feeling
- Tired feeling
- Trouble swallowing
- Upper stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Serious eye symptoms such as: sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as: fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
Forms and Strength
Urso Forte (Ursodiol) is available in the following forms and strength:
Urso Forte: Tablet
- 500 mg
- Use caution in people with chronic liver disease.
- Surgery should be avoided in people who take Ursodiol because of other medical problems.
- Urso Forte may not be effective in certain types of gallstones, such as calcified cholesterol stones.
- Urso Forte may cause diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration, especially in older adults.
- Urso Forte may interact with other medications, inform the doctor or pharmacist of all medications being taken.
- Urso Forte may not be safe for use during pregnancy or lactation.
- Patients who are allergic to Ursodiol or any of its ingredients should not use Urso Forte tablet.
- Patients with a biliary obstruction or an overactive gallbladder should consult their doctor before taking Urso Forte.
- Urso Forte may increase the risk of liver problems or worsen existing liver disease.
- Patients with a history of pancreatitis should use caution when taking Urso Forte, as it may increase the risk of recurrent pancreatitis or worsen existing pancreatic disease.
- Urso Forte may increase the risk of gallbladder cancer in certain patients, particularly those with a history of high-grade biliary tract obstruction or other risk factors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Urso Forte to work?
Urso Forte may take several weeks to months to dissolve gallstones, and the length of treatment may vary depending on the size and number of gallstones.
Is Urso Forte effective for all types of gallstones?
Urso Forte may not be effective in certain types of gallstones, such as calcified cholesterol stones.
Can Urso Forte be used as a preventive measure for gallstones?
Urso Forte is not recommended as a preventive measure for gallstones.
Can Urso Forte help with liver disease?
Urso Forte may be used to manage certain types of liver disease, such as primary biliary cholangitis, but should be used with caution in patients with chronic liver disease.
Does Urso Forte have any food interactions?
There are no known food interactions with Urso Forte, but patients should always talk to their doctor or pharmacist about any concerns regarding food and medication interactions.
It's important to purchase Urso Forte from verified Canadian pharmacy.