Table of contents:
Topamax, generically known as Topiramate, is a medication used to treat seizures and prevent migraine headaches. Topamax belongs to a class of drugs called anticonvulsants. It works by lessening abnormal excitement in the brain. It reduces the frequency of seizures by regulating abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
Topamax (Topiramate) is a medication used to treat seizures and prevent migraine headaches. It is used off-label for weight loss and treating alcohol dependence. It is known for being one of the more successful treatments for epilepsy and migraine prevention. Topamax has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration since 1996, and since then has become a popular choice among those looking for relief from seizure disorders or migraines.
Uses and Dosage
Topamax (Topiramate) comes in the form of tablets taken by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually twice daily. The tablet needed to be swallowed the whole without crashing or breaking to avoid the bitter taste. To prevent kidney stones from forming, drink plenty of liquids while taking this medication unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
Take this medication on a regular basis to reap the greatest benefit from it. To help you remember, take it every day at the same time. Do not forsake this medication without first consulting your doctor. Some ailments may increase in severity if this medication is abruptly discontinued. Your dosage may have to be reduced gradually.
Dosage is calculated based on your medical condition and response to treatment. Children have a different dosage based on their weight. Your doctor will increase your dosage over time to minimize the risk of side effects.
- For Seizures Prevention
- Adults and children 17 years of age and older: at first, 25 or 50 milligrams (mg) once a day. Your doctor may adjust the dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 400 mg per day.
- Children 2 to 16 years of age: Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your child's doctor. The starting dose is usually 25 milligrams (mg) once a day in the evening. The doctor may adjust the dose as needed.
- Children younger than 2 years of age: Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
- For Migraine Headaches Treatment:
- Adults and children 12 years of age and older: First, 25 milligrams (mg) once a day in the evening. Your doctor may adjust the dose as needed. However, the dose is usually not more than 100 mg per day.
- Children younger than 12 years of age: Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Topomax Includes
- Feeling of pins and needles or tingling
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Speech problems, such as slurred speech
- Slow reactions
- Trouble remembering or concentrating
- Change in the way things taste
- Abdominal pain
- Hair loss
Serious Side Effects of Topamax (Topiramate) May Include:
- Hyperthermia (high body temperature) and reduced sweating. Symptoms can include:
- Not sweating in hot weather
- Metabolic acidosis (high level of acid in your blood). Symptoms can include:
- Fast or irregular heart rate or rhythm
- Loss of appetite
- Rapid breathing
- Hyperammonemia (elevated level of ammonia in your blood), which may not cause symptoms in some people. Symptoms can include:
- Serious skin reactions, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis. Symptoms can include:
- Personality or mood changes, including depression and suicidal thoughts or actions.
- Kidney stones.
- Allergic reaction.
- Eye side effects, such as changes in your vision, glaucoma, or vision loss.
Form and Strength
Topamax and its generic alternative Topiramate are available in the following forms and strengths.
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using this medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Birth control pills containing estrogen may not work properly if you take them with topiramate. To keep from getting pregnant, use an additional form of birth control (e.g., condoms, spermicide) together with your birth control pill. If you have any questions about this, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine may cause vision changes, clumsiness or unsteadiness, dizziness, drowsiness, or trouble with thinking or speaking. Make sure you know how you or your child react to this medicine before you drive, use machines, climb in high places, swim, or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert, well-coordinated, or able to think or see well.
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine with alcohol or other medicines that affect the central nervous system. The use of alcohol or other medicines that affect the CNS with topiramate may worsen the side effects of this medicine, such as dizziness, poor concentration, drowsiness, unusual dreams, and trouble with sleeping.
- Topiramate may cause some people to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies or to become more depressed.
- Topiramate may cause nausea, muscle tremors, breathing problems, eating problems, a fast heartbeat, restlessness, and stomach pain. Tell your doctor right away if you or your child have any of these symptoms.
- This medicine may decrease the density of bones, which can make your bones weak. Talk with your doctor if you have any concerns about this.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What to expect when starting Topamax?
Confusion, difficulty with concentration/attention, forgetfulness, speech or language difficulties, depression or mood problems, flushing, fever, tiredness, fatigue, weight decrease, or tingling of the extremities are common side effects.
How long is topiramate in your system?
Topiramate stays in your system for approximately 4 to 6 days after you take your last dose, but this may differ depending on your age, the dose you were taking, and your medical history.
When does topiramate start working?
For epilepsy, it can take 2 to 4 weeks for topiramate to work fully. For migraines, it can take 1 month for migraine attacks to be less frequent. But it can take 2 to 3 months for topiramate to work fully for migraines.
It's important to purchase Topamax from verified Canadian pharmacy.