Table of contents:
Nystatin vaginal cream is a topical medication used to treat fungal infections of the vagina. It contains the antifungal medication nystatin, which works by stopping the growth of fungus.
Nystatin works by interfering with the cell membranes of the fungi that cause vaginal infections, ultimately leading to their death. Avoid sexual activity during treatment to prevent the spread of the infection and wear loose-fitting clothing to help keep the area dry and prevent the growth of fungus.
Use and Dosage
Nystatin vaginal cream is inserted into the vagina using an applicator and is typically used once or twice a day for two weeks. Use the medication as directed by your doctor and complete the full course of treatment even if your symptoms improve. If your symptoms do not improve after completing treatment or if they get worse, you should contact your doctor.
To use nystatin vaginal cream, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Open the package and remove the applicator.
- Squeeze the cream onto the applicator as directed by your healthcare provider.
- Insert the applicator into the vagina as far as it will comfortably go.
- Press the plunger to release the cream into the vagina.
- Withdraw the applicator and discard it.
- Wash your hands again after use.
Apply nystatin vaginal cream exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Keep using nystatin vaginal cream for the full course of treatment even if you feel better. You should continue to use the cream even if you start to menstruate.
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not use a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Nystatin Vaginal Cream (Nystatin):
- Skin irritation, itching, or redness
Serious Side Effects of Nystatin Vaginal Cream (Nystatin):
- Severe burning, itching, rash, or pain where nystatin cream is applied
- Serious eye symptoms such as: sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye pain or swelling, or seeing halos around lights
- Serious heart symptoms such as: fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeats; fluttering in your chest; shortness of breath; and sudden dizziness, lightheartedness, or passing out
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, profuse sweating, or tremors
Forms and Strength
Nystatin Vaginal Cream (Nystatin) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Nystatin vaginal cream may cause side effects such as itching, burning, irritation, and rash.
- Use the medication as directed by your doctor and complete the full course of treatment even if your symptoms improve.
- If your symptoms do not improve after completing treatment or if they get worse, you should contact your doctor.
- Nystatin vaginal cream may interact with other medications, let your doctor know about all the medications you are taking.
- Nystatin vaginal cream may cause allergic reactions in some people, so be sure to inform your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Avoid sexual activity during treatment to prevent the spread of the infection.
- Nystatin vaginal cream should not be used for the treatment of systemic, oral, intravaginal, or ophthalmic infections.
- If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, inform your doctor before using Nystatin vaginal cream.
- Nystatin vaginal cream should not be used in patients with known hypersensitivity to nystatin or any of the components of the product.
- If you experience severe itching, burning, or irritation, or if you develop a rash, hives, or difficulty breathing while using nystatin vaginal cream, seek medical attention immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Nystatin vaginal cream be used during pregnancy?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, inform your doctor before using Nystatin vaginal cream. Nystatin is generally considered safe for use during pregnancy.
Is Nystatin vaginal cream available over the counter?
Nystatin vaginal cream is a prescription medication and is not available over the counter.
How long does it take Nystatin Vaginal Cream to work?
Nystatin Vaginal Cream usually starts working within a few days of beginning treatment. However, continue using the cream for the full course of treatment as prescribed by your doctor, even if your symptoms improve.
It's important to purchase Nystatin Vaginal Cream from verified Canadian pharmacy.