Table of contents:
Nilstat oral suspension is a medication used to treat fungal infections in the mouth, also known as oral candidiasis or thrush.
The active ingredient in Nilstat is nystatin, which is an antifungal that works by stopping the growth of fungus. Nystatin is in a class of antifungal medications called polyenes. It works by stopping the growth of fungi that cause infection.
Use and Dosage
Take Nilstat Oral Suspension 4 times a day or as directed by your doctor and use it regularly at the same times each day to get the most benefit from it. Dosage will vary depending on your medical condition and response to therapy. It may take several days to several months to complete treatment, so continue using Nilstat Oral Suspension until the full prescribed amount is finished, even if symptoms disappear after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may allow the infection to continue and result in a return of the infection.
Use Nilstat Oral Suspension depending on the instructions from the healthcare provider or as indicated by the medication label. Here is a general guideline on how to use Nilstat Oral Suspension:
- Shake the bottle well before using.
- Measure the right amount of medication using an oral syringe, medicine spoon, or dropper as indicated on the label or as instructed by your healthcare provider.
- Place the medication in your mouth and swish it around or hold it in your mouth for as long as possible, then swallow it.
- Repeat the process the prescribed number of times per day or as instructed by your healthcare provider.
Follow the instructions of your healthcare provider or the medication label when using Nilstat Oral Suspension or any medication. If you have any questions or concerns about using Nilstat Oral Suspension or any medication, it is best to consult with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
Common Side Effects of Nilstat Oral Suspension (Nystatin):
- Stomach bloating or pain
Serious Side Effects of Nilstat Oral Suspension (Nystatin):
- Irritation or burning of the mouth
- Rash or itching
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Forms and Strength
Nilstat Oral Suspension (Nystatin) is available in the following forms and strength:
- Nilstat Oral Suspension is a prescription medication used to treat fungal infections of the mouth or intestines. It should only be used under the direction of a healthcare provider.
- Nystatin may cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, or skin rash. If these side effects occur, contact a healthcare provider for advice.
- People who are allergic to nystatin should not use the medication.
- Nystatin may interact with other medications, including antibiotics and antifungal drugs. Inform a healthcare provider of all medications being taken before starting Nilstat Oral Suspension.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women should consult a healthcare provider before using Nilstat Oral Suspension.
- Nilstat Oral Suspension may not be appropriate for people with liver or kidney disease, or other underlying medical conditions. For a healthcare provider to assess a person's medical history and current health status before prescribing Nilstat Oral Suspension.
- Nilstat Oral Suspension may not be effective against all types of fungal infections. Follow the dosage and treatment instructions provided by a healthcare provider and report any persistent or worsening symptoms.
- Nilstat Oral Suspension is not a substitute for good oral or digestive hygiene practices (such as brushing teeth properly, flossing, and using antiseptic mouthwash or avoiding sugary foods and drinks). These practices can help prevent fungal infections from occurring or spreading.
- Nilstat Oral Suspension may cause a temporary change in taste or loss of taste sensation. This may affect a person's ability to enjoy food or beverages. This is usually reversible and resolves after discontinuing the medication.
- Nilstat Oral Suspension should not be shared with others, as it is a prescription medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Nilstat Oral Suspension available over the counter?
No, Nilstat Oral Suspension is a prescription medication and is not available over the counter.
How long does it take for Nilstat Oral Suspension to work?
The length of treatment and the time it takes for Nilstat Oral Suspension to work can vary depending on the severity and type of fungal infection being treated. Complete the full course of treatment as directed by a healthcare provider, even if symptoms improve before the medication is finished.
Can Nilstat Oral Suspension be used for vaginal yeast infections?
No, Nilstat Oral Suspension is not designed to treat vaginal yeast infections. It is only intended for use in the mouth or intestines.
Is Nilstat Oral Suspension safe for Children?
Yes, Nilstat Oral Suspension is safe for children when used as directed by a healthcare provider. Dosage and treatment may need to be adjusted based on a child's age, weight, and medical history.
Is Nilstat Oral Suspension available in generic form?
Yes, Nilstat Oral Suspension is available in generic form under various brand names, including Nyaderm, PMS-Nystatin, and Mycostatin.
It's important to purchase Nilstat Oral Suspension from verified Canadian pharmacy.