- FREE Express Shipping On Orders $99+
Miralax (Polyethylene Glycol)Prescription Not Required
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
Table of contents:
MiraLAX is an over-the-counter drug commonly used to treat occasional constipation. It contains the active ingredient polyethylene glycol 3350 (PEG 3350), which helps soften the stool and increase its bulk, making it easier to pass. PEG 3350 is effective for both adults and children over the age of 17 months, making it an attractive option for treating constipation.
MiraLAX is an osmotic laxative, which works by drawing water into the colon. This increased hydration of the stool softens it and may also result in stimulation of the colonic muscles, which facilitates the passage of stool. This process helps to ease bowel movements. This medication is available both with and without a prescription.
MiraLAX powder easily dissolves into any hot or cold beverage with no taste or grit. MiraLAX is gluten free, sugar-free, and preservative-free. MiraLAX is available in the form of a powder and should be mixed with 4-8 ounces of a beverage of your choice. But it does not come in liquid form, nor does it come in tablet or pill form.
Uses and Dosage
MiraLAX should be taken orally, usually once a day, or as prescribed by your doctor or the instructions on the product packaging. For individual packets, mix the powder as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. For the bulk bottle, use the provided cap to measure the prescribed dosage. Stir the powder well until it is fully dissolved before drinking the MiraLAX solution. If you have any questions, consult your pharmacist.
The dosage of MiraLAX for adults is typically 17 grams and should be mixed and dissolved in (4-8 ounces/120-240 milliliters) of a beverage of your choice such as water, milk, juice, soda, coffee, or tea. The dosage for adults may vary depending on the reason for taking MiraLAX, as well as the age of the person taking it, and it is important to use the smallest dosage that provides the desired effect. For children, a healthcare professional should determine the dosage.
It may take 2-4 days after starting MiraLAX before a bowel movement occurs. Do not increase your dosage or take it more frequently than prescribed. Also, do not use this medication for more than two weeks without the direction of your doctor. If your condition persists or worsens, tell your doctor. Prolonged use or overuse of MiraLAX may lead to dependence on laxatives and chronic constipation. Overuse of MiraLAX may also cause diarrhea, dehydration, and mineral imbalances (such as low sodium).
Serious Side Effects of MiraLAX
- Severe or bloody diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding
- Blood in your stools
- Severe and worsening stomach pain
Common Side Effects of MiraLAX
- Dry mouth
- No tears when crying (in children)
- No wet diapers for several hours (in children)
Some Allergic Reactions to MiraLAX Include:
- Itchy skin
- Runny nose
- Trouble breathing
- Swollen lips, tongue, or throat
Form and strength
- 7 doses
- 14 doses
- 30 doses
- 45 doses
- Elderly patients should be advised to use MiraLAX medication with caution due to a heightened risk of experiencing side effects, particularly diarrhea.
- During pregnancy, the risks and benefits of taking this medication should be discussed with a physician.
- It is unknown whether this drug is excreted into breast milk, so consulting a doctor before breastfeeding is recommended.
- Those taking MiraLAX to treat or prevent constipation should avoid consuming alcohol, as this could cause stomach problems and exacerbate the side effects of MiraLAX, such as dehydration and electrolyte imbalances.
- Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor’s approval.
- If you are taking MiraLAX to treat or prevent constipation, you should avoid drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol, especially excessive drinking, can cause stomach problems and might worsen side effects caused by MiraLAX, such as:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it safe to use MiraLAX long-term?
Over-the-counter MiraLAX and other laxatives are usually only recommended for short-term use, for up to a week. If you have chronic (long-lasting) constipation, you should be evaluated by your doctor. Your doctor will decide the best treatment for you, which may include long-term treatment with MiraLAX.
How fast does MiraLAX work?
MiraLAX usually causes a bowel movement within 1 to 3 days.
Can I take MiraLAX with fiber?
Yes, you can take MiraLAX with fiber. Many people take fiber daily to prevent constipation and for general digestive health. Fiber products are usually a first choice for preventing and treating constipation.
Powder for solution
Online Pharmacies Canada has provided information from third parties intended to increase awareness and does not contain all the information about Miralax (Polyethylene Glycol). Talk to your doctor or other qualified medical practitioners for medical attention or advice, or if you have any concerns about Miralax (Polyethylene Glycol).