Table of contents:
Gravol Adult Chewables is an over counter medication used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness, vertigo, or inner ear disorders in adults.
Gravol contains the active ingredient dimenhydrinate, which is an antihistamine that works by blocking histamine receptors in the brain and the inner ear's vestibular system. This action reduces the activity of the vomiting center in the brain, which helps prevent and treat nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness, vertigo, or inner ear disorders. The drug may also cause sedative effects, making individuals feel drowsy or sleepy.
Use and Dosage
Gravol Adult comes as chewables tablet to take it orally by mouth with or without food. Gravol Adult Chewable tablets are meant to be chewed thoroughly before being swallowed. The chewable tablets should not be crushed or broken before use.
The dosage and frequency of use depend on the condition being treated, age, and other medical conditions. The recommended dose for adults to prevent or treat motion sickness is 50 to 100mg every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 400mg per day.
Use the tablet exactly as recommended by your doctor or pharmacist. If you are taking dimenhydrinate regularly and miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Gravol Adult Chewables (Dimenhydrinate - non-Rx):
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat
- Excitement or hyperactivity (especially in children)
- New or worsening dizziness
- Problems with coordination
- Ringing in the ears
Serious Side Effects of Gravol Adult Chewables (Dimenhydrinate - non-Rx):
- Blurred vision or any change in vision
- Difficulty passing urine
- Rapid, shallow breathing
- Skin rash
- Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; hives; swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, or throat)
Forms and Strength
Gravol Adult Chewables (Dimenhydrinate - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
Gravol Adult Chewables: Chewable Tablet
- Gravol contains dimenhydrinate, which is an antihistamine that may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Therefore, do not drive or operate machinery while taking the tablet until one is aware of its effects.
- The medication may cause dry mouth, nose, or throat, blurred vision, nausea or vomiting, loss of appetite, difficulty urinating, or constipation. It may also affect one's mental or physical ability to perform activities. Therefore, consult a healthcare provider before using it, especially if there are any underlying medical conditions like glaucoma, heart or liver disease, high blood pressure, or asthma.
- Some individuals may be allergic to dimenhydrinate. Therefore, seek immediate medical attention if one experiences symptoms like hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat after taking the medication.
- Dimenhydrinate may interact with other medications or substances like alcohol, sedatives, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, and opioids, leading to excessive drowsiness, dizziness, difficulty breathing, or coma. Therefore, disclose all the medications or substances being used to a healthcare provider before taking Gravol.
- The medication may cause paradoxical reactions like hyperactivity, restlessness, agitation, or hallucinations in some individuals, especially children and older adults. Therefore, monitor the effects of Gravol and seek medical attention if any unusual symptoms occur.
- Taking Gravol may affect one's ability to think or react, increasing the risk of accidents, falls, or injuries. Therefore, avoid activities that require mental alertness or coordination until the medication's effects are known.
- The medication may also affect pregnancy or breastfeeding, and individuals in these conditions should consult a healthcare provider before using it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Gravol Adult Chewables be taken on an empty stomach?
Yes, Gravol Adult Chewables can be taken on an empty stomach. However, some individuals may experience stomach upset, and it is advisable to take it with food or milk.
Can Gravol Adult Chewables be chewed or crushed?
Yes, Gravol Adult Chewables are designed to be chewed and swallowed whole. Crushing or chewing the tablets may affect their effectiveness or taste.
How often can Gravol Adult Chewables be taken?
Gravol Adult Chewables can be taken every 4-6 hours as needed to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness. However, follow the dosage and instructions on the label or as recommended by a healthcare provider.
Can Gravol Adult Chewables be used for other conditions besides motion sickness?
Though Gravol Adult Chewables are primarily used for motion sickness, dimenhydrinate may also be used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by other conditions like vertigo or inner ear disorders. However, consult a healthcare provider before using it for these conditions.
It's important to purchase Gravol Adult Chewables from verified Canadian pharmacy.