Table of contents:
Janumet XR is a prescription medication used to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is a combination medication that contains two active ingredients: sitagliptin and metformin. Sitagliptin works by increasing levels of incretin hormones, which stimulate the release of insulin, while metformin decreases glucose (sugar) production in the liver and its absorption in the intestines.
Janumet XR, when used along with a proper diet and exercise program, can help control high blood sugar levels in people with high blood sugar. By controlling high blood sugar, it can help prevent kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems, loss of limbs, and sexual function problems. Proper control of diabetes may also reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke.
Uses and Dosage
Janumet XR is an extended-release tablet that should be taken orally as directed by your doctor once daily with a meal, preferably in the evening. The tablet should be swallowed whole and not crushed or chewed, as doing so can release all the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Drink plenty of fluids while taking the tablet unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
Take the tablet regularly to get the most benefit from it, and to help you remember, take it at the same time each day. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully regarding the medication treatment plan, meal plan, and exercise program.
Your medical condition and response to treatment, as well as other medications you may be taking, will determine the dosage of Janumet XR. Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the products you use, including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products. To reduce your risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start this medication at a low dose and gradually increase your dose.
Common Side Effects of Janumet XR (Sitagliptin/Metformin HCI XR):
- Metallic taste in your mouth
- Stomach upset
- Tablet in your stool
Serious Side Effects of Janumet XR (Sitagliptin/Metformin HCI XR):
- Blurred vision
- Change in the amount of urine
- Difficulty breathing
- Fast heartbeat
- Fruity breath odor
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Joint pain
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Rapid breathing
- Severe dizziness
- Severe stomach pain that may spread to the back
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden sweating
- Sudden weight gain
- Swelling ankles or feet
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Tingling in the hands or feet
- Unusual skin blisters
- Unusual tiredness
Form and strength
Janumet XR (Sitagliptin/Metformin HCI XR) is available in the following forms and strength:
Janumet XR: Extended-Release Tablet
- 50/500 mg
- 50/1000 mg
- 100/1000 mg
- There is a boxed warning for Janumet XR about the risk of lactic acidosis, a rare but serious condition that can occur due to the buildup of lactic acid in the body. This can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention.
- Janumet XR can also cause or worsen kidney problems, so it is important to inform your healthcare provider if you have a history of kidney problems. Your healthcare provider may need to adjust your dose or monitor your kidney function regularly.
- Janumet XR can cause low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia), which can be dangerous, especially if you are taking other diabetes medications at the same time. Symptoms of hypoglycemia include sweating, shaking, confusion, and dizziness. Make sure to follow your healthcare provider's instructions for monitoring your blood sugar levels and taking your medication.
- Janumet XR may increase the risk of bone fractures, particularly in the hands and feet. If you experience unexplained joint pain or joint pain that does not go away, you should contact your healthcare provider.
- Some people may experience an allergic reaction to Janumet XR, which can be life-threatening in rare cases. Signs of an allergic reaction may include rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing, and swollen lips, tongue, or face. Seek medical attention immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Janumet XR can interact with other medications, including some antibiotics and blood pressure medications. Make sure to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
- Long-term use of metformin, one of the active ingredients in Janumet XR, may lead to vitamin B12 deficiency. Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency include tingling or numbness in the hands or feet, difficulty walking, and fatigue. Your healthcare provider may need to monitor your vitamin B12 levels and recommend supplements if needed.
- Janumet XR is not recommended for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Janumet XR be taken with other medications?
Janumet XR may interact with other medications, such as blood thinners and certain antibiotics. Inform your healthcare provider about all medications you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
How long does it take for Janumet XR to start working?
Janumet XR may start working within hours of taking the first dose, but it may take several days or weeks to see the full effect on blood sugar levels. However, the time it takes for Janumet XR to work may vary depending on the individual.
Can Janumet XR be taken with or without food?
Janumet XR should be taken with food to reduce the risk of stomach upset.
It's important to purchase Janumet XR from verified Canadian pharmacy.