Table of contents:
Hyzaar DS is a prescription medication primarily used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) by lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack.
Hyzaar DS is combination medication that contains two active ingredients, losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide. It works by blocking certain chemicals in the body that constrict blood vessels, allowing blood to flow more easily and reducing the amount of water and salt in the body.
Use and Dosage
Hyzaar DS comes in the form of a tablet that is taken orally, typically once a day. The tablet can be taken with or without food but should be taken consistently. Do not crush or chew the tablet but swallow it whole with a glass of water.
The recommended dosage for Hyzaar DS is usually one tablet per day. The exact strength of the tablet may vary depending on the dosage prescribed by the healthcare provider. The usual starting dose of Hyzaar is 50/12.5 (losartan 50 mg/hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg) once daily, which can be increased after 3 weeks of treatment to 100/25 mg (losartan 100 mg/hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg) once daily if necessary. Follow the dosage instructions provided by your healthcare provider.
Hyzaar DS be taken exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose, and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Hyzaar DS (Losartan/HCTZ):
- Abdominal pain
- Back or leg pain
- Decreased appetite
- Decreased sexual interest or ability
- Dizziness when rising from a sitting or lying position
- Increased frequency of sinus infections or nasal congestion
- Muscle cramps
- Pins and needles sensation
- Sensitivity to the sun
- Sexual difficulties
- Swollen glands in the mouth
- Taste alterations
- Trouble sleeping
Serious Side Effects of Hyzaar DS (Losartan/HCTZ):
- Discolored patches or lumps on the skin that change slowly over time
- Pounding, rapid heartbeat
- Rash, red patches under the skin
- Signs of anemia (low red blood cells; e.g., dizziness, pale skin, unusual tiredness or weakness, shortness of breath)
- Signs of bleeding (e.g., unusual nosebleeds, bruising, blood in urine, coughing blood, bleeding gums, cuts that do not stop bleeding)
- Signs of electrolyte changes (e.g., irregular heartbeat, muscle weakness, general feeling of being unwell, lack of energy, confusion, muscle pain or cramps, drowsiness)
- Signs of gout (e.g., joint pain, swelling and warmth of joints)
- Signs of infections (symptoms may include fever or chills, severe diarrhea, shortness of breath, prolonged dizziness, headache, stiff neck, weight loss, or listlessness)
- Signs of kidney problems (e.g., decreased urination, nausea, vomiting, swelling of the feet and ankles)
- Signs of liver damage (yellowing of skin or whites of eyes, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, brown urine, light-coloured stools, tiredness, or weakness)
- Signs of low blood pressure such as dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Signs of muscle damage (e.g., unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, or brown or discoloured urine)
- Skin rash (especially if you also have joint pain)
- Swelling legs, ankles, or hands
- Symptoms of high blood sugar (e.g., frequent urination, increased thirst, excessive eating, unexplained weight loss, poor wound healing, infections, fruity breath odour)
- Symptoms of increased pressure in the eyes (e.g., decreased, or blurred vision, eye pain, red eye, swelling of the eye)
- Vision changes (blurred vision, increased eye pressure, eye pain)
- Chest pain
- Signs of a serious allergic reaction (swelling of face or throat, hives, difficulty breathing)
- Severe skin rash, including skin blistering and peeling (possibly with headache, fever, coughing, or aching before the rash begins)
- Signs of pancreatitis (e.g., abdominal pain on the upper left side, back pain, nausea, fever, chills, rapid heartbeat, swollen abdomen)
Forms and Strength
Hyzaar DS (Losartan/HCTZ) is available in the following forms and strength:
Hyzaar DS: Tablet
- Do not take Hyzaar DS if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant as Hyzaar DS may harm an unborn baby.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you have any medical conditions such as kidney or liver disease, diabetes, or gout.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications, including over-the-counter medications, dietary supplements, or herbal remedies, as they may interact with Hyzaar DS and cause side effects or reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Hyzaar DS as it may increase the side effects such as dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Notify your doctor if you experience symptoms such as fainting, severe dizziness, or rapid weight gain as it may be a sign of a serious condition that may require immediate medical attention.
- Hyzaar DS may cause dehydration, drink plenty of fluids while taking the medication.
- Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the side effects of Hyzaar DS, so they may need to be closely monitored during treatment.
- Hyzaar DS may cause low blood pressure, especially when taken with other medications that lower blood pressure, monitor blood pressure regularly.
- Hyzaar DS may cause an increase in blood sugar levels, so people with diabetes may need to monitor their blood sugar levels more frequently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Hyzaar DS cause dehydration?
Hyzaar DS may cause dehydration, drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication.
Can I take other medications while taking Hyzaar DS?
You should inform your healthcare provider about all medications you are taking, including over-the-counter medications, dietary supplements, and herbal remedies, as they may interact with Hyzaar DS and cause side effects or reduce the effectiveness of the medication.
Can Hyzaar DS cause low blood pressure?
Hyzaar DS may cause low blood pressure, especially when taken with other medications that lower blood pressure, monitor blood pressure regularly.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Hyzaar DS?
If you miss a dose of Hyzaar DS, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time of your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Do not double your dose to make up for the missed dose.
It's important to purchase Hyzaar DS from verified Canadian pharmacy.