Table of contents:
Zestril is a medication used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. It contains an active ingredient called Lisinopril. Lisinopril belongs to a class of drugs known as ACE inhibitors. It works by blocking the production of certain hormones in the body that can raise blood pressure.
Zestril helps in reducing blood pressure levels, as well as reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke. In addition to its cardiovascular benefits, Zestril may also be prescribed for some kidney and liver conditions.
Uses and Dosage
To use Zestril tablets, follow these steps. Take the medication at the same time each day. Swallow the tablet whole with water and avoid crushing, chewing, or dissolving the tablet. Zestril tablets can be taken with or without food. Start with the lowest dose your doctor has prescribed and only increase your dosage as directed. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
The usual dosing for Zestril involves a gradual increase in dosage over time. Most people begin with a daily oral dose of 5-10 mg and adjust their dosage to reach a maximum of 40 mg per day. If Zestril is being used to treat hypertension after a heart attack, the usual dosage is 10 mg per day.
Common Side Effects of Zestril (Lisinopril):
- Chest pain
- Low blood pressure
Serious Side Effects of Zestril (Lisinopril):
- Chest pain
- Clay-colored stools
- Dark urine
- Feeling tired or short of breath
- Fever and sore throat
- Irregular heartbeats
- Itching or tired feeling
- Kidney problems
- A light-headed feeling, like you might pass out
- Little or no urination
- Liver problems
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of movement
- Swelling in your feet or ankles
- Tingly feeling
- Upper stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Form and strength
Zestril (Lisinopril) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 20 mg
- Zestril can cause an allergic reaction in some people, which can be severe. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include swelling, difficulty breathing, and skin rashes.
- Zestril can cause angioedema, which is a swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat that can be life-threatening. If you experience any swelling, difficulty breathing, or hoarseness after taking Zestril, seek immediate medical attention.
- Zestril should not be taken during pregnancy, as it can harm the unborn baby. It is also not known whether Zestril is safe to use while breastfeeding.
- Zestril can cause or worsen kidney problems in some people. Have your kidney function monitored regularly while taking Zestril.
- Zestril can cause or worsen liver problems in some people. It is important to have your liver function monitored regularly while taking Zestril.
- Zestril can cause low blood pressure, which can lead to dizziness or fainting. Be cautious when standing up or changing positions after taking Zestril.
- Zestril can cause elevated levels of potassium in the blood, which can be dangerous for people with kidney problems or those taking other medications that also increase potassium.
- Drinking alcohol while taking Zestril can increase its blood pressure-lowering effects and may cause dizziness or lightheadedness.
- Zestril can affect blood sugar levels and may require adjustments in diabetic medication dosages.
- If you plan to have surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are taking Zestril, as it may interact with anesthesia and other medications.
- Elderly patients may be more sensitive to the effects of Zestril and may require a lower dosage or more frequent monitoring.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Zestril?
If you miss a dose of Zestril, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
Can Zestril be taken during pregnancy?
Zestril should not be taken during pregnancy, as it can harm the unborn baby.
How long does it take for Zestril to start working?
The effects of Zestril may be seen within a few hours or may take several weeks to reach full effect, depending on the individual.
How long does lisinopril (Zestril) take to kick in?
Lisinopril (Zestril) starts to kick in within 1 hour but takes up to 6 hours for the medication to reach its maximum effects.
It's important to purchase Zestril from verified Canadian pharmacy.