Table of contents:
Hygroton is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and fluid retention. It contains chlorthalidone. Chlorthalidone is classified as a diuretic or "water pill" and works by increasing the amount of urine produced by the body, especially when the medication is first started.
By lowering the level of blood pressure, chlorthalidone can help to prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. Additionally, it is used to reduce excess salt and water in the body caused by conditions such as heart failure, liver disease, and kidney disease. By decreasing extra salt and water in the body, it also helps to reduce swelling (edema) and breathing problems caused by fluid in the lungs.
Uses and Dosage
Chlorthalidone tablets should be taken orally, usually once a day, with or without food, as directed by your doctor. To get the most benefit from the medication, use it regularly and try to take it at the same time each day. Take chlorthalidone tablet in the morning with a meal. It starts working in about two hours, so do not take it at night; otherwise, you will go to the bathroom more overnight. Avoid taking the tablet within 4 hours of bedtime to avoid having to get up to urinate.
If you have any questions about your dosing schedule or how to use the medication properly, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Avoid taking certain drugs to lower your cholesterol, such as bile acid-binding resins like cholestyramine or colestipol, within 2 hours before or 4 hours after taking Hygroton. Remember to keep taking the medication even if you feel well, as most people with high blood pressure do not feel sick.
Common Side Effects of Hygroton (Chlorthalidone):
- High blood sugar for those with diabetes
- Increased urination
- Sensitivity to the sun
Serious Side Effects of Hygroton (Chlorthalidone):
- Electrolyte changes
- Gouty attacks for people with gout
- Temporary muscle pain or weakness
Form and strength
Hygroton (Chlorthalidone) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 50 mg
- Individuals with an allergy to chlorthalidone or sulfa-containing medications should not take Hygroton.
- Hygroton can cause low blood pressure, so people who are dehydrated or taking other medications that lower blood pressure should use it with caution.
- Hygroton can affect blood sugar levels and may interfere with diabetes medications.
- Dehydration may occur while taking chlorthalidone, so be sure to drink enough water and discuss fluid intake with your doctor.
- Use of Hygroton during pregnancy or while breastfeeding may not be recommended, so talk to your doctor.
- Hygroton can lead to changes in electrolyte levels, causing low sodium, potassium, or magnesium. Regular blood tests may be required to monitor these levels.
- Those with liver or kidney impairment should use caution when taking Hygroton, as the medication may exacerbate these conditions.
- Hygroton may increase the risk of gout attacks, so people with a history of gout should discuss this medication with their doctor.
- Hygroton may cause sensitivity to sunlight or ultraviolet light, so avoid prolonged exposure to these sources.
- Hygroton may interact with other medications, including insulin, cholesterol-lowering drugs, and lithium, discuss any potential drug interactions with a doctor or pharmacist.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does chlorthalidone take to work?
The diuretic effect will usually start within about 2-3 hours after taking your dose. You can expect to see blood pressure changes within a few days of starting the tablet.
Can Hygroton be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding?
Hygroton may not be safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, discuss the risks and benefits with a healthcare professional.
Can Hygroton cause dehydration?
One of the main side effects of Hygroton is increased urination, which can lead to dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids and monitor for signs of dehydration, such as dark urine, dry mouth, and thirst.
How long does Hygroton stay in your system?
The effects of Hygroton wear off after about 24 hours, but the medication can stay in your system for several days after the last dose.
Does Hygroton cause weight gain?
One of the main effects of Hygroton is fluid loss, which can lead to weight loss. However, some people may experience weight gain if they retain water due to changes in electrolyte levels.
It's important to purchase Hygroton from verified Canadian pharmacy.