Diovan HCT is a medication that can treat hypertension (high blood pressure) or heat failure. It is a combination of two drugs: valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide. The combination of these two drugs can help to reduce the amount of fluid buildup in the body and therefore improve blood flow throughout the body. Diovan HCTZ is an effective treatment for hypertension and can be taken either as a single-drug or combined with other medications.
Valsartan is an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) that works by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily, and hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic or “water pill” that helps to eliminate excess fluid from the body, which can also help to lower blood pressure. It acts as a diuretic which reduces the amount of fluid and sodium in the kidneys.
Uses and Dosage
Diovan HCT comes in the form of tablet to be taken orally once a day with or without food, as instructed by a healthcare professional. To avoid having to urinate during the night, take the tablet at least 4 hours before bedtime if it causes more frequent urination. If taking cholesterol-lowering medications such as cholestyramine or colestipol, take Diovan HCTZ at least 4 to 6 hours before or after those medications.
The dosage of Diovan HCTZ is determined by the medical condition and response to treatment of the individual. Regular use of Diovan HCT tablet, at the same time each day, achieve the best results, even if there are no noticeable symptoms. Consult with a healthcare professional if there is no improvement or if there is a worsening of symptoms such as high blood pressure readings.
The standard dosage for Diovan HCT (valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide) is taking 160 mg/12.5 mg by mouth once every day. If necessary, a healthcare professional may gradually increase the dosage to a maximum of 320 mg/25 mg (valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide) taken orally once daily.
Common Side Effects of Diovan HCTZ (Valsartan/hctz):
- Common cold
- Dry mouth
- Feeling lightheaded when standing up from a seated or lying down position
- Muscle cramps
- Stomach upset
Serious Side Effects of Diovan HCTZ (Valsartan/hctz):
- Bloating or stomach pain
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
- Itching, pain, redness, or swelling of the eye or eyelid
- Joint stiffness or swelling, especially if sudden
- Skin rash or hives
- Trouble breathing
- Watering of the eyes
- Yellow eyes or skin
Form and Strength
Diovan HCTZ (Valsartan/hctz) is available in the following forms and strength:
Diovan HCTZ: Tablet
- Avoid using Diovan HCT while pregnant – this medication may be harmful to a developing fetus.
- Diovan HCT may interact with other medications, inform your healthcare professional of any other medications being taken.
- Diovan HCT may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, avoid driving or operating heavy machinery until the individual knows how this medication affects them.
- Diovan HCT may cause dehydration or electrolyte imbalances, especially in individuals with kidney problems or frequent urination. Individuals should drink enough water and electrolytes to offset this potential side effect.
- Diovan HCT may cause side effects such as dizziness, fatigue, or an upset stomach. If these persist or worsen, contact a healthcare professional promptly.
- Valsartan / hydrochlorothiazide) can affect the kidneys and cause them to not work as well. Your risk is higher if you have very severe heart failure, serious kidney problems, or if you are taking medications that can worsen kidney function.
- In some rare cases, Diovan HCT can cause a severe or life-threatening allergic reaction. If you experience swelling in your lips, tongue, face, or throat or have trouble breathing, get medical help right away.
- Valsartan / hydrochlorothiazide can lower your blood pressure, which can make you feel lightheaded or dizzy. Be careful when getting up from either a seated or lying down position to prevent falls.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Diovan HCT be taken during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Diovan HCT is not recommended for use during pregnancy as it may harm the developing fetus. Do not use Diovan HCT while breastfeeding as it is unknown whether it can pass into breast milk.
Can I take other medications while on Diovan HCT?
Inform a healthcare professional of any medications being taken before starting Diovan HCT as it may interact with other medications. Do not start or stop any medication without consulting a healthcare professional.
How should I store Diovan HCT?
Diovan HCT should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture and heat. Keep it out of the reach of children.
How soon will Diovan HCT (valsartan / hydrochlorothiazide) start to work?
You can expect to see improvements in your blood pressure in about 1 to 2 weeks after starting Diovan HCT. But it could take up to a month before you to see the full benefits of this medication.