Table of contents:
Flamazine cream is a topical antibacterial cream containing silver sulfadiazine as the active ingredient. It is used to prevent and treat infections in skin wounds, particularly in cases of severe burns. Flamazine cream belongs to the group of antibiotic medicines called sulphonamides. It works by killing the bacteria or preventing its growth, thus preventing, and treating infections in skin wounds, including burns.
Flamazine cream may also be used to treat other types of wounds, such as pressure sores and leg ulcers, but it is primarily indicated for burn wounds. It is applied topically to the affected area and should only be used under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Use and Dosage
Flamazine Cream comes in a cream form and is usually applied once or twice daily as directed by a healthcare professional. Carefully follow the directions on your prescription label and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part that you do not understand. Use the cream exactly as directed, and do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed.
Flamazine Cream should not be applied to infants less than 2 months of age. You should not stop using Flamazine Cream until your doctor tells you to do so. To help remove dead skin and aid in the healing process, gently wash the burned skin area daily. If your burn becomes infected or if your infection worsens, contact your healthcare professional.
Before applying Flamazine Cream, clean the burned area and remove any dead or burned skin. Always wear a sterile, disposable glove when applying silver sulfadiazine. Cover the clean burned area with a 1/16-inch (0.2-centimeter) thickness of cream. It is essential to always keep the burned area covered with cream and reapply it to any area that becomes uncovered.
Common Side Effects of Flamazine Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine):
- Burning feeling on the treated area
- Itching or skin rash
Serious Side Effects of Flamazine Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine):
- Aching joints
- Blood in urine
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual weakness or tiredness
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Forms and Strength
Flamazine Cream (Silver Sulfadiazine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Flamazine Cream: Cream
- Avoid using Flamazine Cream if you are allergic to silver sulfadiazine or any other sulfa drugs.
- Flamazine should not be used during pregnancy unless it is clearly needed as it may harm the unborn baby.
- Flamazine Cream may affect blood sugar levels, monitor blood sugar regularly during treatment for people with diabetes.
- It should not be used on premature babies or infants under two months of age.
- Flamazine Cream may interact with some other medications, inform your healthcare professional about all medications you are taking, including over the counter and prescription drugs.
- Flamazine may cause some common side effects such as itching, burning, pain, and rash at the site of application. If any adverse effects or concerns arise, it is recommended to consult the healthcare professional immediately.
- Silver sulfadiazine may cause the skin to become more sensitive to sunlight, leading to an increased risk of sunburn. Therefore, avoid exposure to sunlight or use sun protection while using this medication.
- Flamazine Cream should not be used on areas of skin that are near the eyes, mouth, or nose as it may cause irritation or burning. If it accidentally gets in these areas, rinse immediately with water.
- Patients with severe burns may absorb too much silver into their blood, leading to a condition called argyria, which can cause skin discoloration and other symptoms. Therefore, silver sulfadiazine should be used with caution and under the guidance of a healthcare professional, especially in patients with severe burns.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I use Flamazine Cream on an infected wound?
Yes, Flamazine Cream is used to prevent and treat infections in skin wounds, including infected wounds. However, it should only be used under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
How long should I use Flamazine Cream?
The duration of treatment with Flamazine Cream will depend on the specific circumstances of the patient and the severity of the injury or wound.
Can Flamazine Cream be used on deep burns?
Flamazine Cream is primarily used for preventing and treating infections in skin wounds, including burns. However, the use of Flamazine Cream on deep burns should only be under the guidance of a healthcare professional as it may not be effective for deeper wounds.
Can I apply other medications or creams on top of Flamazine Cream?
Applying other medications or creams with Flamazine Cream should only be done under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Can I take oral antibiotics with Flamazine Cream?
The use of oral antibiotics with Flamazine Cream should only be done under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
It's important to purchase Flamazine Cream from verified Canadian pharmacy.