Table of contents:
Vantin is an antibiotic medication used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. It can be used to treat various bacterial infections, such as pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, urinary tract infections, and skin and soft tissue infections.
Vantin Dispersible contains active ingriedent called cefpodoxime, which belongs to a class of drugs called cephalosporins. It works by inhibiting bacterial cell wall synthesis, leading to the death of susceptible bacteria.
Use and Dosage
Cefpodoxime comes in the form of orally disintegrating tablet usually taken every 12 hours with food. Remove the tablet from the packaging and place it on your tongue. Allow the tablet to dissolve on your tongue without chewing it. You can swallow the dissolved tablet with or without water.
Do not stop taking the medication even if you feel better after a few doses. The medication is prescribed by a doctor or healthcare provider, with dosing depending on the patient's age, weight, and severity of the infection. Patients should follow their doctor's instructions carefully and complete the full course of the medication, even if they start to feel better.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Common Side Effects of Vantin Dispersible (Cefpodoxime):
- Increased thirst
- Mild itching
- Muscle pain
- Stomach pain
- Swelling, redness, irritation, burning, or itching of the vagina
- White vaginal discharge
Serious Side Effects of Vantin Dispersible (Cefpodoxime):
- A return of fever, sore throat, chills, or other signs of infection
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Numbness or tingly feeling, warmth, or redness under the skin
- Pale or yellowed skin
- Rapid weight gain
- Seizures (convulsions)
- Skin rash
- Sore throat
- Spinning sensation (vertigo)
- Stiff or tight muscles
- Stomach pain
- Strange dreams, nightmares
- Stuffy nose
- Tired feeling
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth
- Urinating less than usual or not all
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Watery or bloody stools, stomach cramps, or fever during treatment or for up to two or more months after stopping treatment
- White patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
Forms and Strength
Vantin Dispersible (Cefpodoxime) is available in the following forms and strength:
Cefpodoxime: Orally Disintegrating Tablet
- Take the exactly as prescribed, even if you start feeling better after a few days. Stopping the medication too soon may allow the bacteria to continue to grow, which could lead to a relapse of the infection.
- Vantin can interact with other medications, particularly those that affect the kidneys. Be sure to tell your doctor about all medications, supplements, and vitamins you are taking before starting Vantin.
- Vantin may cause side effects such as stomach pain, diarrhea, and nausea. If you experience severe diarrhea while taking Vantin, be sure to contact your doctor, as it could be a sign of a more serious condition.
- As with any antibiotic, Vantin should only be used to treat bacterial infections, not viral infections such as the common cold or flu. Using antibiotics improperly can lead to antibiotic resistance and other health problems.
- Vantin should not be used by individuals who are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics or penicillin. If you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek medical attention immediately.
- Vantin can affect the results of certain lab tests, so be sure to mention to your healthcare provider that you are taking it if you have any lab work coming up.
- Vantin may cause dizziness or drowsiness in some individuals. Patients should avoid driving or operating machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
- Vantin may cause a mild rash or skin irritation. Patients should contact their doctor if they experience a severe rash, hives, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Cefpodoxime may cause liver problems, such as jaundice or hepatitis, particularly in patients with a history of liver disease. Patients should contact their doctor immediately if they experience symptoms such as abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, or dark urine.
- Cefpodoxime may increase the risk of a Clostridium difficile infection, which can be severe and life-threatening. Patients should contact their doctor if they experience severe or persistent diarrhea, abdominal pain, or fever.
- Cefpodoxime may interact with other medications, particularly blood-thinning medications such as warfarin. Patients should tell their doctor about all medications, supplements, and vitamins they are taking before starting Cefpodoxime.
- Cefpodoxime may cause a decrease in the number of white blood cells, which can increase the risk of infection. Patients should contact their doctor immediately if they experience symptoms such as fever, sore throat, or mouth sores.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I experience an allergic reaction to Vantin Dispersible?
Seek medical attention immediately if you experience symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing, hives, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
How long does it take for Vantin Dispersible to start working?
Vantin Dispersible may start working within a few hours of taking the first dose, but it may take several days for your symptoms to improve. Continue taking the medication as directed, even if you start to feel better.
Can Vantin Dispersible be used to treat viral infections?
No, Vantin Dispersible is only effective against bacterial infections and will not work for viral infections such as the common cold or flu.
How should Vantin Dispersible be stored?
Store Vantin Dispersible at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
It's important to purchase Vantin Dispersible from verified Canadian pharmacy.