Table of contents:
Cipro HC Otic is a prescription medication used to treat bacterial infections in the ear, including acute otitis externa (also known as swimmer's ear) in children and adults. Cipro HC Otic is a combination of two drugs: ciprofloxacin, which is an antibiotic, and hydrocortisone, which is a steroid. Ciprofloxacin works by killing the bacteria or preventing their growth, while hydrocortisone reduces inflammation and swelling in the ear canal.
The combination of these two drugs can effectively treat bacterial infections in the ear canal and help to relieve the associated symptoms such as pain and swelling. Ciprofloxacin blocks certain enzymes that bacteria use to grow, and hydrocortisone reduces inflammation and itching, thereby alleviating the symptoms of the ear infection.
Cipro HC Otic is typically available as an ear suspension and should be administered as directed by a healthcare provider. It will not be effective for viral or fungal ear infections and should only be used for bacterial infections as prescribed.
Use and Dosage
Cipro HC Otic is an ear drop medication that is typically used twice daily (every 12 hours) or as directed by a doctor. Before using the medication, clean and dry the ear canal to avoid contamination. To apply the ear drops, have another person insert the drops, if possible, to further avoid contamination.
To apply the drops, you should wash your hands first and hold the container in your hand for a few minutes to warm it. Then, shake the container well before using. Additionally, lie on your side with the treated ear upward and hold the dropper directly over the ear, placing the prescribed number of drops into the ear canal.
For adults, you should hold the earlobe up and back, while for children you should hold the earlobe down and back to help the drops roll into the ear. After placing the drops, keep your head tilted with the treated ear upward for about one minute or insert a soft cotton plug as directed by your doctor. Repeat the above steps for the other ear if required. Do not rinse the dropper and replace the cap after use.
Use Cipro HC Otic regularly to get the most benefit from it, and to use it at the same times each day to remember when to use it. Make sure to use the medication for the full time prescribed, even if you start feeling better after a few days. Stopping the medication too early may allow the bacteria to continue to grow and can result in a relapse of the infection.
If your condition lasts or gets worse after seven days of treatment, tell your doctor immediately. You should also report any fluid you find in the ear after treatment is completed.
Common Side Effects of Cipro HC Otic (Ciprofloxacin/Hydrocortisone):
Serious Side Effects of Cipro HC Otic (Ciprofloxacin/Hydrocortisone):
- Difficulty breathing
- New ear drainage with severe itching
- Skin rash (no matter how mild)
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
Forms and Strength
Cipro HC Otic (Ciprofloxacin/Hydrocortisone) is available in the following forms and strength:
Cipro HC Otic: Ear drop
- Cipro HC Otic is a prescription medication and should only be used as directed by a healthcare provider.
- Cipro HC Otic is contraindicated in patients with a history of hypersensitivity to ciprofloxacin, hydrocortisone, or any of the other ingredients in the medication.
- Cipro HC Otic should not be used in patients with a perforated tympanic membrane (eardrum).
- Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding should talk to their healthcare provider before using Cipro HC Otic.
- Cipro HC Otic may interact with other medications, inform your healthcare provider of all medications you are taking before using it.
- Cipro HC Otic may cause side effects such as rash, itching, redness, swelling or discharge from the ear. Contact your healthcare provider if these symptoms worsen or persist.
- Cipro HC Otic may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, especially if used with other medications that also cause these effects. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how Cipro HC Otic affects you.
- Cipro HC Otic should be used with caution in individuals with a history of tendon disorders or who are currently taking corticosteroid medications.
- Cipro HC Otic should be used cautiously in patients with a history of seizures or other neurological conditions. Report any unusual symptoms to your healthcare provider.
- Do not use Cipro HC Otic for longer than prescribed or you may increase the risk of side effects.
- Store Cipro HC Otic at room temperature and keep it out of reach of children.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Cipro HC Otic be used for viral or fungal infections of the ear?
No, Cipro HC Otic should only be used to treat bacterial infections of the ear, as it will not be effective against viral or fungal infections.
How long should I use Cipro HC Otic?
Use Cipro HC Otic for the full course of treatment as prescribed by your healthcare provider, even if your symptoms improve before the medication is finished. Do not stop using Cipro HC Otic without first talking to your healthcare provider.
Can Cipro HC Otic cause allergic reactions?
Yes, Cipro HC Otic may cause allergic reactions such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. Seek emergency medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms.
How should I store Cipro HC Otic?
Store Cipro HC Otic at room temperature and keep it out of reach of children. Do not freeze the medication.
It's important to purchase Cipro HC Otic from verified Canadian pharmacy.