Zithromax Z-Pak is a prescription medication used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It can be indicated to treat infections of the lungs, sinus, throat, tonsils, skin, and other parts of the body. The Z-Pak consists of pre-packaged dose packs containing six 250 mg Azithromycin tablets that are meant to be taken over 5 days.
Zithromax Z-Pak is a brand name for the antibiotic Azithromycin. Azithromycin belongs to a class of antibiotics called macrolides, which work by binding to the ribosomes of bacteria and preventing them from producing proteins that they need to grow and multiply. By stopping the production of these proteins, the bacteria are unable to function properly and ultimately die.
Uses and Dosage
Azithromycin is available in tablet form and should be taken as directed by your doctor, usually once daily with or without food. If you experience stomach upset, take the tablet with food. The dosage of this antibiotic is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. To ensure the best effect, take the medicine at evenly spaced intervals and try to take it at the same time each day.
The recommended dosage of Azithromycin may vary depending on the type and severity of infection being treated. The typical adult dosage ranges between 500 to 2000 mg once a day, taken as a single dose. For some types of infections, the initial dosage may be followed by doses of 250 to 500 mg once daily for a total duration of 7 to 10 days.
Take the full prescribed amount of Azithromycin, even if your symptoms improve after a few days. Stopping the medication too early could allow the bacteria to continue to grow and may result in a return of the infection. If you are taking an antacid that contains aluminum or magnesium, wait at least two hours before or after taking Azithromycin as the antacid may decrease the absorption of the antibiotic.
Common Side Effects of Zithromax Z-Pak (Azithromycin):
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Zithromax Z-Pak (Azithromycin):
- Blisters or peeling
- Dark-colored urine
- Extreme tiredness
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Fever and pus-filled, blister-like sores, redness, and swelling of the skin
- Flu-like symptoms
- Lack of energy
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the upper right part of the stomach
- Pink and swollen eyes
- Rash with or without a fever
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody stools) that may occur with or without fever and stomach cramps (may occur up to 2 months or more after your treatment)
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual muscle weakness or difficulty with muscle control
- Vomiting or irritability while feeding (in infants less than 6 weeks old)
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Form and Strength
Zithromax Z-Pak (Azithromycin) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 250 mg
- Azithromycin can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include rash, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, and dizziness.
- Patients with liver or kidney disease should use caution when taking Zithromax Z-Pak. They may require a lower dose or a different medication.
- Zithromax Z-Pak can cause a prolonged QT interval, which can lead to an irregular heartbeat and a potentially life-threatening condition called Torsades de Pointes. This risk is higher in patients with pre-existing heart conditions or those taking other medications that can prolong the QT interval.
- Antibiotics such as Zithromax Z-Pak can disrupt the normal balance of bacteria in the intestines, leading to an overgrowth of the bacteria Clostridium difficile. This can cause severe diarrhea and inflammation of the colon.
- Azithromycin can worsen symptoms of myasthenia gravis, a neuromuscular disorder that causes muscle weakness and fatigue.
- Azithromycin should be used with caution in pregnant and breastfeeding women, as its safety in these populations has not been fully established.
- Azithromycin may interact with other medications, including antacids, blood thinners, and heart medications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Zithromax Z-Pak?
If you miss a dose of Zithromax Z-Pak, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
What should I do if I overdose on Zithromax Z-Pak?
If you suspect an overdose of Zithromax Z-Pak, seek medical attention immediately or call a poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, and diarrhea.
Is it safe to take Zithromax Z-Pak with other medications?
Inform your doctor or pharmacist of all medications (including prescription and over the counter) and supplements you are taking before starting Zithromax Z-Pak, as it can interact with certain medications.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Zithromax Z-Pak?
There are no known interactions between Zithromax Z-Pak and alcohol but avoid excessive alcohol consumption while taking medications.