Table of contents:
Flagyl, known by its generic name Metronidazole, is an oral medication commonly prescribed to treat a range of bacterial and parasitic infections. Flagyl works by killing off certain types of bacteria and preventing them from reproducing, thereby eliminating the infection that they can cause.
Flagyl (Metronidazole) is an antibiotic that is used to treat infections caused by certain bacteria and parasites. Metronidazole is used to treat infections of the skin, respiratory tract, blood, and other organs. It is also used to treat certain vaginitis and sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea.
Flagyl is a commonly used antibiotic that is effective in treating a variety of bacterial infections. It has been shown to be effective in the treatment of symptomatic and asymptomatic trichomoniasis, amoebiasis, anaerobic bacterial infections, intra-abdominal infections, skin infections, gynecologic infections, bacterial septicemia, bone and joint infections, central nervous system (CNS) infections, lower respiratory tract infections, and endocarditis.
Uses and Dosage
Metronidazole should be taken orally, usually three times a day as directed by your doctor. To avoid stomach upset, it is best to take this prescription medication with a meal or a glass of milk. The tablet should be swallowed whole with a glass of water following. You should not divide, chew, or crush the tablet, as doing so could result in an increased release of the ingredients and the associated side effects.
You should take Flagyl on a regular basis and exactly as directed, making a dosing schedule if necessary to ensure that doses are not missed. It is also important to ensure that the antibiotics are taken at evenly spaced intervals. Do not change the dose or duration of treatment without consulting with your doctor, as it is determined by your medical condition and response to therapy. Additionally, do not stop taking this medication abruptly to avoid a return of the infection.
The amount of medication that needs to be taken by a patient varies depending upon its strength. In addition, the number of doses per day, the time interval between doses and the duration of the medication depends upon the condition being treated.
- For adults with amebiasis infections, 500 or 750 milligrams (mg) should be taken three times a day for a period of 5 to 10 days. For children, the dose is calculated as 35 to 50 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight per day, divided into three doses, for 10 days.
- For adults with bacterial infections, the dose is 7.5 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight every 6 hours for 7 to 10 days. The maximum dose should not exceed 4000 mg per day. For children, a medical doctor should determine the dose.
- For adults with trichomoniasis infections, the tablet can be taken as a single dose of 2 grams, as 1 gram two times a day for one day, or as 250 milligrams (mg) three times a day for 7 days. For the capsule form, 375 mg should be taken two times a day for 7 days. Children should be given the dosage prescribed by their doctor.
- For bacterial vaginosis in adults, 750 milligrams (mg) should be taken once a day for 7 days. Children should also take the dosage prescribed by their doctor.
Flagyl May Cause Common Side Effects Including:
- Blisters or ulcers in your mouth
- Painful or difficulty urinating
- Red or swollen gums
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble swallowing
Serious Side Effects of Flagyl Including:
- Burning pain in your hands or feet
- Coordination difficulty
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Muscle weakness
- Neck stiffness
- Pain behind your eyes
- Seeing flashes or light
- Trouble speaking or understanding what is said to you
- Vision problems
Form and strength
Flagyl and its affordable alternative Metronidazole are available in the following forms and strengths:
- 500 mg
- 200 mg
- 250 mg
- 400 mg
Metronidazole, also known by its brand name Flagyl, is a prescription-only antibiotic commonly used to treat bacterial infections. It can be prescribed for short-term courses or long-term courses depending on the type and severity of the infection. In either case, there are some cautions that should be taken into consideration when using Flagyl, including:
- Avoid alcohol while taking Metronidazole, as it can cause severe symptoms and reactions.
- Tell your doctor if you have any bleeding or clotting issues, as Flagyl may worsen them.
- Flagyl may change the way your body processes other medications, so tell your doctor about all medications you are taking.
- Some people may experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or a metallic taste in their mouth while taking Metronidazole.
- Do not use Flagyl if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, as it may cause harm to the baby.
- Monitor closely for any signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, or tongue.
- Metronidazole should not be used for children under 8 years old.
- Do not take extra doses of Metronidazole or take it for longer than prescribed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How Flagyl (Metronidazole) works?
Flagyl (Metronidazole) works by interfering with the DNA of certain bacteria and parasites. This prevents the bacteria and parasites from replicating and multiplying, thus treating the infection.
What are the side effects of Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
Common side effects of Flagyl (Metronidazole) include headache, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Other side effects may include dizziness, rash, itching, and dark urine. Tell your doctor if you experience any of these side effects.
What is the recommended dosage of Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
The recommended dosage of Flagyl (Metronidazole) depends on the type of infection being treated. Always talk to your doctor before starting any new medications.
Are there any drug interactions with Flagyl (Metronidazole)?
Yes, Flagyl (Metronidazole) may interact with other medications. Talk to your doctor about all prescription and non-prescription medications you are taking to ensure there are no drug interactions.
It's important to purchase Flagyl from verified Canadian pharmacy.