Table of contents:
Xigduo XR is a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus. It is a combination medication that contains dapagliflozin and metformin, and it is used as an adjunct therapy to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes.
Dapagliflozin works by blocking the reabsorption of glucose in the kidneys, which leads to more glucose being excreted in the urine and lower blood sugar levels. Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose produced by the liver and improving the body's response to insulin, a hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. By combining these two medications, Xigduo XR helps to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.
Uses and Dosage
Xigduo XR is available in tablet form and should be taken by mouth as directed by a doctor, typically once daily in the morning with food. Swallow the tablet whole and not crush or chew it, as doing so could cause all the drug to be released at once, increasing the risk of side effects.
The recommended dosage of Xigduo XR may vary depending on the specific patient and their medical needs. However, the recommended dose for dapagliflozin is 10mg per day, and the maximum daily dose of Xigduo XR is 10mg of dapagliflozin and 2,000mg of metformin hydrochloride (HCl). Follow a doctor's instructions and the dosage recommendations on the medication label. Patients with kidney disease or other medical conditions may require different dosages.
To ensure maximum effectiveness, Xigduo XR should be taken regularly at the same time each day. If the condition does not improve or worsens, such as if blood sugar levels become too high or too low, inform the doctor.
Common Side Effects of Xigduo XR (Dapagliflozin/Metformin Hcl):
- Runny nose
- Stomach pain
Serious Side Effects of Xigduo XR (Dapagliflozin/Metformin Hcl):
- Changes in urine output
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Urinary tract infection
- Genital yeast infection
Form and strength
Xigduo XR (Dapagliflozin/Metformin Hcl) is available in the following forms and strength:
Xigduo XR: ER Tablet
- 10/500 mg
- 5/1000 mg
- 10/1000 mg
- This is a rare but serious side effect of metformin, which is one of the active ingredients in Xigduo XR. It can cause symptoms such as rapid breathing, muscle pain, and weakness, and can be life-threatening. Patients with kidney disease, liver disease, or heart failure may be at increased risk of developing lactic acidosis and should be closely monitored by their healthcare provider.
- Dapagliflozin, the other active ingredient in Xigduo XR, can cause dehydration and low blood pressure. Patients should be instructed to drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication, and to report any symptoms of dehydration or low blood pressure, such as dizziness or fainting.
- Dapagliflozin can increase the risk of genital infections, such as yeast infections in women and balanitis in men. Patients should be advised to practice good hygiene and to report any symptoms of genital infection to their healthcare provider.
- Xigduo XR can cause low blood sugar levels, especially when used in combination with other medications for diabetes. Patients should be instructed to monitor their blood sugar levels regularly and to report any symptoms of hypoglycemia, such as sweating or shakiness.
- Xigduo XR can interact with other medications, including certain antibiotics and diuretics. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking before starting Xigduo XR.
- Dapagliflozin can increase the risk of kidney problems, especially in patients who have existing kidney disease or other risk factors for kidney damage. Patients should be closely monitored for signs of kidney dysfunction, such as changes in urine output or edema.
- Patients taking dapagliflozin had an increased risk of lower limb amputations. Patients should be advised to report any signs of foot or leg ulcers, infections, or pain to their healthcare provider immediately.
- Some patients may have an allergic reaction to Xigduo XR, which can cause symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the mouth or throat. Patients should seek immediate medical attention if they experience any of these symptoms.
- Metformin can reduce the absorption of vitamin B12, which can lead to anemia or other complications. Patients should be tested for vitamin B12 deficiency periodically and may require supplementation.
- Patients taking Xigduo XR should inform their healthcare provider prior to any surgery or imaging procedure, as they may need to temporarily stop taking the medication to reduce the risk of complications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Xigduo XR be taken with other medications?
Xigduo XR should be used with caution when taken with other medications that can affect kidney function or increase the risk of lactic acidosis. Patients should inform their healthcare provider of all medications they are taking before starting Xigduo XR.
How often should I take Xigduo XR?
Xigduo XR is typically taken once daily with a meal.
Can Xigduo XR increase the risk of bone fractures?
Patients taking dapagliflozin had a slightly increased risk of bone fractures, particularly in the hands and feet. Patients should inform their healthcare provider if they experience persistent pain or swelling in these areas.
Is Xigduo XR a substitute for a healthy diet and exercise?
No, Xigduo XR should be used as an adjunct therapy in combination with a healthy diet and regular exercise. Patients should continue to follow their healthcare provider's recommendations for lifestyle modifications to manage their diabetes.
It's important to purchase Xigduo XR from verified Canadian pharmacy.