Table of contents:
Toprol XL is a medication commonly used to treat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. The active ingredient in TOPROL-XL is metoprolol succinate. Metoprolol succinate belongs to the class of drugs called beta-blockers. It works by slowing down the heart rate, making it easier for the heart to pump blood around the body.
Toprol XL is available as an extended-release tablet and should be taken orally as prescribed by a doctor. It can be used to treat high blood pressure, chest pain or discomfort due to coronary heart disease (angina pectoris), and heart failure.
Uses and Dosage
TOPROL-XL comes as Extended-Release Tablet to take by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily. Metoprolol succinate may be taken with or without food. Swallow the whole or split extended-release tablets without crushing or chewing. If your provider halves your dose, only the tablets can be split in half using a pill cutter.
To reduce your risk of side effects, your doctor may direct you to start metoprolol succinate at a low dose and gradually increase your dose. Follow your doctor's instructions carefully. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. The recommended dosage of metoprolol succinate (Toprol XL) may vary based on the medical condition being treated
For high blood pressure:
- Adults: Take 25-100 mg of metoprolol succinate (Toprol XL) by mouth once a day.
- Children 6 years and older: Take a dose based on their weight, starting with typical 1 mg/kg of body weight by mouth once a day.
For chest pain:
- Take 100 mg of metoprolol succinate (Toprol XL) by mouth once a day.
For heart failure:
- Start with 12.5-25 mg of metoprolol succinate (Toprol XL) by mouth once a day.
Common Side Effects of Toprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate):
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath or wheezing
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Slow heart rate
Serious Side Effects of Toprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate):
- Chest pain
- Clay-colored stools
- Cold feeling in your hands and feet
- Dark urine
- Easy bruising
- Loss of appetite
- Memory problems
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest
- Purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin
- Shortness of breath even with mild exertion
- Swelling of your hands or feet
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum)
- Upper stomach pain
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Form and strength
Toprol XL (Metoprolol Succinate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Toprol XL: Extended-Release Tablet
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
Metoprolol Succinate: Tablet
- 12.5 mg
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- Do not use Metoprolol Succinate during pregnancy or while breastfeeding without consulting a healthcare professional.
- TOPROL-XL may cause dizziness, fatigue, or low blood pressure, so caution should be taken when driving or operating heavy machinery.
- People with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other breathing problems should use TOPROL-XL with caution due to the potential for it to worsen breathing difficulties.
- People with certain health conditions, such as heart block or slow heartbeats, should use TOPROL-XL with caution and under close monitoring by a healthcare professional.
- Metoprolol Succinate may interact with other medications, inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking before starting TOPROL-XL.
- Do not stop taking this medication suddenly because your blood pressure could rise too quickly. This can raise your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How fast does metoprolol succinate work?
Metoprolol succinate starts to work within 1 hour, but you will not see full results until about 1 week.
Can I take TOPROL-XL with other medications?
You should inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking to avoid any potential interactions with TOPROL-XL.
Can TOPROL-XL be stopped suddenly?
No, you should not stop taking TOPROL-XL suddenly as it may cause withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to reduce the dose gradually before stopping the medication completely.
Is it possible to overdose on TOPROL-XL?
Yes, it is possible to overdose on TOPROL-XL. Symptoms of an overdose may include slow heartbeat, shortness of breath, fainting, and seizures.
It's important to purchase Toprol XL from verified Canadian pharmacy.