Table of contents:
Nitro-Dur is used to prevent episodes of chest pain (angina) in people with coronary artery disease. It is a brand of nitroglycerin transdermal patch. Nitroglycerin is in a class of medications called vasodilators. Nitro-Dur works by relaxing the blood vessels, allowing more blood and oxygen to reach the heart.
Nitroglycerin transdermal patches can only be used to prevent attacks of angina; they cannot be used to treat an attack of angina once it has begun. If you experience sudden or worsening chest pain, seek medical attention immediately.
Use and Dosage
Nitroglycerin comes as a patch to apply to the skin. It is usually applied once a day, worn for 12 to 14 hours, and then removed. Apply nitroglycerin patches at around the same time every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use nitroglycerin patches exactly as directed. Do not apply more or fewer patches or apply the patches more often than prescribed by your doctor.
- Remove the patch from its pouch and peel off the protective clear liner as directed. You can wear the patch on any clean, dry, and hairless area of your body below the neck and above the knees or elbows.
- Apply the patch to the chosen area, pressing it firmly in place with the palm of your hand.
- Wash your hands after applying the patch.
- Wear the patch for 12 to 14 hours a day or as directed by your doctor. Use only one patch a day.
- Apply each new patch to a different area of skin to reduce skin irritation.
- Fold used patches in half with the sticky sides together and discard them out of reach of children and pets.
Do not suddenly stop using nitroglycerin without consulting your doctor, as some conditions may worsen if the drug is suddenly stopped. Your dose may need to be gradually decreased. If Nitro Dur Patch stops working well (for example, if you experience worsening chest pain or it occurs more often), tell your doctor immediately.
Note that you should always follow your doctor's instructions when using Nitro Dur Patch. You should also inform your doctor if you experience any new or worsening symptoms while using this medication, as this may indicate a need for a change in treatment.
Common Side Effects of Nitro Dur Patch (Nitroglycerin):
- Flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin)
- Skin rash or itching as your body adjusts to this medication
- Upset stomach
Serious Side Effects of Nitro Dur Patch (Nitroglycerin):
- Chest pain or pressure
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder
- Pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest
- Slow heart rate
- Swelling of your face lips tongue or throat
- Worsening chest pain
Forms and Strength
Nitro Dur Patch (Nitroglycerin) is available in the following forms and strength:
Nitro Dur Patch: Patch
- 0.2 mg
- 0.4 mg
- 0.6 mg
- 0.8 mg
- Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) can cause dangerously low blood pressure in some people. Do not take it with phosphodiesterase inhibitor medications such as sildenafil (also known as Viagra or Revatio), which are used for erectile dysfunction or pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) is not well-studied for use during a heart attack or for treating congestive heart failure (CHF). Do not use this medication to try to stop a heart attack.
- Taking nitrates like Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) can make chest pain worse if you have a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, especially if you are over 65 years old. Let your provider know immediately if your chest pain gets worse after using Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch).
- Your body can become tolerant of Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch), which means that the same amount of medication no longer works as well as it used to. Tolerance cannot be fixed by using a higher dose of nitroglycerin. It can also lead to dangerous withdrawal symptoms, including chest pain, heart attacks, or even death, if you stop using Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) suddenly.
- Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin patch) may interact with certain medications or supplements. Always let your doctor and pharmacist know about any other medications or supplements (including prescribed and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and dietary or herbal supplements) that you are currently taking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Nitro-Dur Patch suitable for everyone?
Nitro-Dur patch may not be suitable for everyone, especially those who have low blood pressure, a history of heart attack or stroke, or certain types of heart or blood vessel disease. Consult a healthcare professional before using this patch.
Why remove Nitro patch at night?
It is a good idea to remove the patches for 8 to 10 hours every day. This will prevent you from developing a tolerance (get used to) to the medication and make sure it works well.
How do you stop nitroglycerin patches?
Do not suddenly stop using nitroglycerin without consulting your doctor. Some conditions may become worse when the drug is suddenly stopped. Your dose may need to be gradually decreased.
It's important to purchase Nitro Dur Patch from verified Canadian pharmacy.