Table of contents:
Timolol generically known as timolol maleate, is an oral medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It belongs to a class of drugs called beta blockers. It works by blocking certain hormones like adrenaline that can increase blood pressure or heart rate. It prevents heart attack, stroke, and kidney problems. It is also prescribed to prevent the recurrence of myocardial infarction.
Timolol Maleate is prescribed off-label for other conditions, including migraine headaches and high blood pressure. It may be administered alone or in combination with other medications to treat hypertension. Additionally, Timolol Maleate is also effective at lowering blood pressure levels and reducing the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Uses and Dosage
Timolol maleate is available as an oral tablet taken with or without food, usually once or twice a day, or as directed by a healthcare provider. Swallow the pill and drink a glass of water right after. The dosage is determined based on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment.
Use the tablet exactly as prescribed. Do not alter your Timolol dosage or frequency as it is based on your overall medical condition and response to the medication. Note that this medication cannot be used to relieve sudden chest pain. Overall, take timolol maleate regularly to obtain the most benefits from it and to take it at the same time each day to help remember taking the medication.
The recommended dosage of timolol maleate tablets is based on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment.
- When used to treat hypertension, do not take more than 60 milligrams per day, whereas in the prevention of migraines, it should not exceed 30 milligrams per day.
- The recommended dose range for the treatment of angina pectoris due to ischemic heart disease is 5-30 milligrams twice daily.
Common Side Effects of Timolol (Timolol Maleate):
- Eye irritation
- Double vision
Serious Side Effects of Timolol (Timolol Maleate):
- Cold feeling in your hands and feet.
- Drooping eyelids
- Light-headed feeling, like you might pass out
- Muscle weakness
- New or worsening chest pain
- Rapid weight gain
- Shortness of breath (even with mild exertion)
- Slow or uneven heartbeats
- Vision problems
Form and strength
Timolol (Timolol Maleate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Timolol Maleate: Tablet
- 5 mg
- 10 mg
- 200 mg
- Abruptly stopping the use of timolol can cause chest pain or a heart attack in some individuals. Timolol has been used with other medications to lower the risk of death and to improve survival after a heart attack.
- It may cause allergic reactions and breathing difficulties in some people.
- It can cause a slowing of the heart rate, which may be harmful in people with certain heart conditions.
- Timolol may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, which could be a problem for people who operate heavy machinery or engage in activities requiring mental alertness.
- Timolol can interact with other medications, inform your healthcare provider about all medications, supplements, and herbal products you are taking.
- People with certain medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes, and kidney or liver disease, may need to use caution when taking Timolol.
- Timolol can affect blood sugar levels, so it may need to be used with caution in people with diabetes.
- Timolol can affect blood pressure, so it may need to be used with caution in people with hypertension. Speak with your healthcare provider if you have any concerns about taking Timolol or if you experience any adverse effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is timolol maleate safe during pregnancy?
Timolol maleate has been classified as a pregnancy category C drug, meaning it may not be safe during pregnancy. Speak with your doctor before taking this medication if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Can timolol maleate be used in children?
Timolol maleate is approved for use in children, but the dosage and safety may vary depending on the age and condition of the child.
What should I do if I miss a dose of timolol maleate?
If you miss a dose of timolol maleate, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is closer to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular medication schedule. Do not double the dose to make up for a missed one.
It's important to purchase Timolol from verified Canadian pharmacy.