Table of contents:
Ketosis is a process that occurs when your body uses fat as its main fuel source. Normally, your body uses blood sugar (glucose) as its key energy source.
Ketostix are reagent strips used for testing urine for the presence and concentration of ketones, specifically acetoacetic acid. These strips are commonly used by people on a low-carbohydrate or ketogenic diet to monitor their ketone levels and ensure they are in a state of ketosis. The strips work by changing color in the presence of acetoacetic acid, which is excreted in the urine when the body is burning fat for fuel.
Uses and Dosage
Follow the instructions on the package carefully and contact a healthcare provider if you have any concerns or questions about using Ketostix or if you experience any unusual symptoms. Ketostix urine analysis strips are easy to use. Here are the steps to use these strips: Gather supplies such as a cup for urine sample, a ketostix and a watch/timer to use Ketostix strips, you will need to follow these general steps:
- Wash your hands.
- Collect urine in a clean and dry container.
- Remove a Ketostix strip from the package and hold it at the colored end.
- Dip the strip into the urine sample, ensuring that the colored end is fully submerged for a few seconds.
- Remove the strip from the urine and gently shake off any excess urine.
- Wait for the strip to change color. The color change will indicate the presence and level of ketones in the urine.
- Compare the color of the strip to the color chart on the package to determine the ketone level.
Follow the instructions on the package carefully and contact a healthcare provider if you have any concerns or questions about using Ketostix or if you experience any unusual symptoms.
- Bad breath (“keto” breath)
- High cholesterol (hyperlipidemia)
- Kidney stones
- Low bone density (osteopenia) and bone fractures
Form and strength
Ketostix (Non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength:
- No dose
- When removing the test strip, make sure you do not touch the test pad area of the strip.
- Check the expiry date on the strip before using it.
- Keep Ketostix strips in a cool and dry place.
- Call your doctor if your ketone level is unusually high.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do urinalysis reagent strips work?
These thin plastic strips are easy to use. Each strip has a small reagent area on it. Once it is dipped into a urine sample, the color of the strip will change to indicate the amount of ketones present in the urine.
Are Ketostix urine reagent test strips accurate?
Ketostix reagent test strips are considered accurate if used correctly and according to the instructions on the package. However, the presence of certain medications or conditions may affect the accuracy of the results.
Can Ketostix urine reagent test strips be used to diagnose medical conditions?
Ketostix urine reagent test strips can be used to detect the presence of ketones in urine, which may be a sign of a medical condition such as diabetic ketoacidosis.
It's important to purchase Ketostix from verified Canadian pharmacy.