Table of contents:
Topamax Sprinkle (generically known as Topiramate) is a prescription medication used to treat seizures and prevent migraine headaches in adults. It is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. It works by reducing abnormal electrical activity in the brain that can cause seizures, and also has an effect on certain chemicals in the brain that are involved in migraine headache pain.
Topamax Sprinkle is available as sprinkle capsules containing 25 or 50 mg of topiramate and is taken orally. The specific dosage and duration of treatment will depend on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment, as determined by a healthcare provider. As with any medication, there may be potential side effects, and talk to a healthcare provider before starting or changing any medication regimen.
Use and Dosage
Topamax Sprinkle comes as Hard Gelatin Capsules and it is usually taken with or without food once or twice a day. It may be swallowed whole or they may be opened and the entire contents may be sprinkled onto a small amount of soft food, such as applesauce or pudding. The mixture should be swallowed immediately and not chewed.
They are used for the prophylaxis of migraine headache in adults and children who are at least 6 years old. The recommended initial dose is 25 mg given twice daily. Dosages may be increased by 25-50 mg per day every week. The maximum recommended dose is 200 mg per day given in two divided doses.
Be sure that the prescription your doctor gives you is clear and easy to read. Talk to your pharmacist to be sure that you are given topiramate. If you think you were given the wrong medication, talk to your pharmacist. Do not take any medication unless you are certain it is the medication that your doctor prescribed.
Topamax Sprinkle Capsules should not be used by patients with a history of hypersensitivity to topiramate or any of its components, or with metabolic acidosis. The medication should be used with caution in patients with renal impairment and those predisposed to hyperthermia.
Common Side Effects of Topamax Sprinkle (Topiramate):
- Abnormal vision
- Changes is your sense of taste
- Cold symptoms (stuffy nose sneezing sore throat)
- Decreased sensation (especially in the skin)
- Feeling nervous
- Loss of appetite
- Numbness or tingling in your arms and legs
- Problems with speech or memory
- Slow reactions
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
Serious Side Effects of Topamax Sprinkle (Topiramate):
- Blurred vision
- Decreased sweating
- Eye pain or redness
- High fever
- Hot and dry skin
- Irregular heartbeats
- Loss of appetite
- Painful or difficult urination
- Problems with thinking or memory
- Severe pain in your side or lower back
- Shortness of breath
- Speech problems
- Sudden vision loss
- Trouble concentrating
- Unexplained weakness and
- Visual problems
Forms and Strength
Topamax Sprinkle (Topiramate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Topamax Sprinkle: Hard Gelatin Capsule
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- Increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior, particularly in individuals with a history of depression or other mental health conditions.
- Topamax Sprinkle may increase the risk of birth defects if taken during pregnancy.
- May cause vision problems or permanent vision loss in some individuals.
- Topamax Sprinkle may cause metabolic acidosis (increased acidity in the blood), which may lead to kidney stones, osteoporosis, or other health complications, particularly in individuals with kidney problems.
- May cause an increase in body temperature (hyperthermia) or decreased sweating, particularly in individuals taking the medication in hot weather.
- May have interactions with other medications or supplements, inform your healthcare provider of all medications and supplements you are taking before starting Topamax Sprinkle.
- Topamax Sprinkle may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or difficulty concentrating, which may affect mental and physical abilities, and should be used with caution when driving or operating heavy machinery.
- May cause changes in mood or behavior, such as nervousness, agitation, or irritability, particularly in individuals with a history of psychiatric disorders.
- Topamax Sprinkle may cause an increase in acidity in the blood (metabolic acidosis), which may lead to decreased bone density and a higher risk of fractures.
- May cause decreased sweating, which may lead to an increased risk of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, particularly in hot weather or during physical activity.
- Topamax Sprinkle may interact with certain medications, such as oral contraceptives, leading to decreased effectiveness of these medications.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Topamax Sprinkle to work?
The amount of time it takes for Topamax Sprinkle to work may vary depending on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment. It may take several weeks or months to see the full effects of the medication.
Can Topamax Sprinkle be used in children?
Yes, Topamax Sprinkle may be used in children over 2 years of age for the treatment of seizures or migraine headaches, as determined by a healthcare provider.
Can Topamax Sprinkle be taken with food?
Yes, Topamax Sprinkle may be taken with or without food. However, follow the instructions of a healthcare provider regarding the specific dosage and timing of the medication.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Topamax Sprinkle?
If a dose of Topamax Sprinkle is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible. However, if it is close to the time for the next scheduled dose, the missed dose should be skipped and the regular dosing schedule should be resumed.
It's important to purchase Topamax Sprinkle from verified Canadian pharmacy.