Table of contents:
Parlodel (generically known as bromocriptine) is a prescription drug indicated to treat a variety of conditions caused by hormone imbalances, including Parkinson's disease, hyperprolactinemia (elevated levels of prolactin hormone), and acromegaly (a disorder in which there is too much growth hormone in the body).
Bromocriptine belongs to a group of medicines known as the ergot alkaloids. Parlodel works by binding to and activating dopamine receptors in the brain, which can help to regulate hormone levels and improve symptoms.
Uses and Dosage
Parlodel comes as a tablet to take by mouth with food as directed by your doctor, usually 1 or 2 times daily. The dosage will depend on your medical condition and response to treatment, including growth hormone levels if treating acromegaly. Your doctor may start you on a low dose to reduce your risk of side effects and gradually increase it. Take the medication at the same time(s) each day to help remember.
Do not stop taking the medication without consulting your doctor, as abruptly stopping it can worsen some conditions and cause withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, depression, confusion, fever, or muscle stiffness. Your doctor may gradually lower your dose to help prevent withdrawal, especially if you have been using bromocriptine for a long time or in high doses. If you experience withdrawal symptoms, tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Common Side Effects of Parlodel (Bromocriptine):
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach cramps
Serious Side Effects of Parlodel (Bromocriptine):
- Black and tarry stools
- Bloody vomit
- Blurred or impaired vision
- Chest pain
- Hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)
- Numbness, tingling, or pain in your fingers especially in cold weather
- Pain in the arms, back, neck or jaw
- Severe headache
- Shortness of breath
- Slow or difficult speech
- Swelling of the feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds
- Watery discharge from the nose
- Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
Form and Strength
Parlodel (Bromocriptine) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 2.5 mg
- 2.5 mg
- 5 mg
- Hypotension: Parlodel may cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, especially when standing up from a lying or sitting position.
- Psychiatric side effects: Parlodel may cause psychiatric side effects such as hallucinations, delusions, and confusion.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Parlodel should not be used during pregnancy or breastfeeding unless the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.
- Liver disease: Parlodel may be metabolized in the liver and should be used with caution in patients with liver disease.
- Cardiovascular disease: Parlodel may cause vasoconstriction and should be used with caution in patients with cardiovascular disease.
- Impulse control disorders: Parlodel may cause impulse control disorders such as compulsive gambling, binge eating, and hypersexuality.
- Surgery: Parlodel may affect blood pressure and should be used with caution in patients undergoing surgery.
- Kidney disease: Parlodel may be excreted through the kidneys and should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease.
- Diabetes: Parlodel may affect blood sugar levels and should be used with caution in patients with diabetes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
When is the best time to take Parlodel?
Take Parlodel at bedtime to help lessen nausea if it occurs. If stomach upset continues, check with your doctor. Use only the brand of this medicine that your doctor prescribed. Different brands may not work the same way.
How many days does it take Parlodel to work?
To prevent breast milk production, one tablet is taken twice daily for 2 weeks. Sometimes milk production will start again 2 or 3 days after the medicine is finished. A further 1-week course of Parlodel will usually bring this under control.
How long should I take bromocriptine to get pregnant?
Bromocriptine has a long record of safety and is recommended for women who are hoping to conceive. You may need to take it for a few months for it to reduce your prolactin to a normal level.
It's important to purchase Parlodel from verified Canadian pharmacy.