Table of contents:
Thyroid, generically known as Desiccated thyroid, is a prescribed medication used for decades to treat hypothyroidism. Desiccated thyroid is derived from porcine or bovine sources and contains both T3 and T4 hormones. It has been linked with improved energy levels, weight loss, and general wellbeing.
Desiccated thyroid is a combination of hormones that are normally produced by the thyroid gland to regulate your body's energy and metabolism. It is given when the thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone on its own and is used to treat or prevent goiter (an enlarged thyroid gland) and hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone). It is also sometimes given as part of medical tests for thyroid disorders. Desiccated thyroid is generally taken orally in the form of a tablet.
Uses and Dosage
Thyroid tablets are taken by mouth with water, usually once a day on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes to one hour before eating breakfast. Take the medication at the same time each day, as directed by your doctor. Continue taking the medication as prescribed unless your doctor tells you to stop. Taking the medication with food, missing doses, or stopping the medication without consulting your doctor can cause your thyroid levels to become unbalanced, so make sure to follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
The usual adult dosage of thyroid for hypothyroidism is an initial dose of 30 mg orally per day, followed by increments of 15 mg per day every 2 to 3 weeks, until a usual maintenance dose of 60 to 120 mg per day is reached.
Usual children dosage of thyroid for hypothyroidism
- Children 12 years or older: 1.2-1.8 mg/kg orally once daily
- Children 6-12 years: 2.4-3 mg/kg orally once daily
- Children 1-5 years: 3-3.6 mg/kg orally once daily
- Children 6-12 months: 3.6-4.8 mg/kg orally once daily
- Children 6 months: 4.8-6 mg/kg orally once daily
Common Side Effects of Thyroid Desiccated May Include:
- Fast heart rate
- Hair loss
- Muscle pain
- Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias)
Form and Strength
Thyroid is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 30 mg
- 60 mg
- 125 mg
- You may not be able to use thyroid desiccated if you have a thyroid disorder called thyrotoxicosis, or an adrenal gland problem that is not controlled by treatment. This is because thyroid desiccated is a thyroid hormone supplement, and when taken in excess, can cause symptoms of hyperthyroidism and exacerbates the symptoms of an overactive thyroid.
- If you are taking cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran) or colestipol (Colestid), avoid taking them within 4 hours before or after taking desiccated thyroid. This is because these medications can bind to the thyroid hormone in the desiccated thyroid and prevent it from being absorbed in the body, leading to reduced efficacy.
- This medication contains thyroid desiccated and should not be taken if you are allergic to this hormone or any of the ingredients contained in it. Talk to your doctor before taking any medication and make sure that you are not allergic to it. Additionally, you should not take Armour Thyroid or Nature-Throid if you are allergic to thyroid desiccated or any ingredients contained in these drugs.
- Thyroid desiccated is generally considered to be safe to use during pregnancy, as controlled studies in pregnant women have not shown any evidence of fetal risk. However, a small amount of thyroid desiccated can be excreted into breast milk, caution while breastfeeding and to consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
When should I take desiccated thyroid?
It is best to take on an empty stomach, at least 30 minutes to one hour before breakfast. Keep taking it unless your health care provider tells you to stop.
Where should I keep my medication?
Keep out of the reach of children and pets. Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59- and 86-degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medication after the expiration date.
It's important to purchase Thyroid from verified Canadian pharmacy.