Table of contents:
Armour Thyroid is a prescription medication used to treat hypothyroidism, or an underactive thyroid. It is in the form of a natural thyroid hormone, made from the desiccated thyroid glands of pigs. It is considered a natural form of thyroid hormone and is available in tablet form.
Armour Thyroid is a natural form of medication used to treat hypothyroidism since the 19th century. Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland malfunctions and fails to produce enough hormones necessary for metabolism, growth, and development.
Armour Thyroid is a medication that can be used for many thyroid-related health concerns. It is used to treat hypothyroidism, which is a condition where the body does not produce enough thyroid hormone. Additionally, it is sometimes used as part of thyroid suppression therapy, which is a treatment for thyroid cancer.
Uses and Dosage
Armour Thyroid is an oral medication that is taken once daily, ideally 30 minutes to 1 hour before breakfast. It should be taken on an empty stomach and swallowed whole, without crushing, chewing, or splitting the tablet. Drink a full glass of fluid after taking Armour Thyroid to ensure its effectiveness.
The dose of Armour Thyroid (desiccated thyroid) is typically determined by your healthcare provider, who will adjust the dosage based on your response to the medication and the results of your thyroid level lab tests.
- For treatment of Hypothyroidism, the initial recommended dose is 30 mg orally per day. Depending on the individual's response and needs, this dose may be increased up to 120 mg per day. The starting dose for pediatric patients is determined by their age and body weight.
- For Thyroid Suppression Therapy, the dosage is typically calculated by a healthcare provider based on the patient's body weight and administered for 7 to 10 days. It is important to follow the provider's instructions carefully and to monitor your progress regularly to ensure that the therapy is effective.
Common Side Effects of Armour Thyroid:
- Chest pain
- Sensitivity to heat
- Shaking (tremor)
- Shortness of breath
Armour Thyroid may cause serious side effects including:
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Difficulty breathing,
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increased sweating
- Mental/mood changes (such as nervousness, mood swings)
- Severe dizziness
- Swelling of hands, ankles, or feet
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat
Form and Strength
Armour Thyroid is available in the following forms and strengths:
Armour Thyroid: Tablet
- 15 mg
- 30 mg
- 60 mg
- 90 mg
- 120 mg
- 180 mg
- 240 mg
- When it comes to breastfeeding, you should note that a small amount of thyroid desiccated is excreted into breast milk. Therefore, caution should be used when taking thyroid desiccated while breastfeeding.
- Armour Thyroid drugs are used to treat obesity in euthyroid patients. However, doses within normal daily hormonal requirements are ineffective for weight reduction. High doses can be dangerous and may cause serious or life-threatening side effects, especially when taken with sympathomimetic amines (e.g., drugs used for their anorectic effects).
- Armour Thyroid drugs should be used with caution in patients with diabetes mellitus and insipidus, as they may worsen or exacerbate symptoms. It is important to monitor blood sugar levels closely and adjust the dosage of thyroid desiccated drugs accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
What should I avoid while taking desiccated thyroid?
If you also take cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran) or colestipol (Colestid), avoid taking these medications within 4 hours before or after you take desiccated thyroid. Avoid taking an antacid within 4 hours before or after you take desiccated thyroid. Some antacids can make it harder for your body to absorb desiccated thyroid.
How is Armour Thyroid taken?
Armour Thyroid is taken orally, usually once daily on an empty stomach, 30 minutes to 1 hour prior to breakfast. It is important to swallow the tablet whole without crushing, chewing, or splitting it. It is also recommended to drink a full glass of fluid after taking the medication.
What is the typical dose of Armour Thyroid?
The typical starting dose of Armour Thyroid is 30 mg by mouth daily. The dose can go up to 120 mg a day, depending on your body's needs. The starting dose for children is determined by their age and body weight.
It's important to purchase Armour Thyroid from verified Canadian pharmacy.