Table of contents:
Tekturna HCT is a medication used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure). By lowering high blood pressure, it helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. It is a combination of two drugs: Tekturna HCT contains two active ingredients: aliskiren and hydrochlorothiazide.
Aliskiren is a direct renin inhibitor which works by blocking the action of renin, an enzyme that increases blood pressure by constricting blood vessels.
Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that helps to reduce the amount of water in the body, which can also help to lower blood pressure. However, Tekturna HCT is only available on prescription, and it may have certain side effects and drug interactions.
Use and Dosage
Tekturna HCT comes in the form of tablet to take by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily. Take the tablet with or without food, but always choose one way and take the tablet in the same way with every dose.
A high-fat meal can decrease the drug's absorption, avoid taking Tekturna HCT with a high-fat meal. Taking the tablet too close to bedtime may require waking up to urinate, take the medication at least 4 hours before going to bed. Avoid taking Tekturna HCT with fruit juices (such as apple, grapefruit, or orange) as they can decrease the drug's absorption. If you also take certain drugs to lower your cholesterol (bile acid-binding resins such as cholestyramine, colestipol), take aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide at least 4 hours before or 4 to 6 hours after these medications.
The dosage of Tekturna HCT is based on the individual's medical condition and response to treatment. Take the medication regularly at the same time each day to receive the most benefit. It may take up to 4 weeks before experiencing the full benefits of this drug. Keep taking the drug even if you feel well. Most people with high blood pressure do not feel sick.
If the blood pressure readings remain high or increase, inform the doctor about it.
Common Side Effects of Tekturna HCT (Aliskiren/Hydrochlorothiazide):
- Flu symptoms (fever, chills, body aches)
- High potassium
- Joint pain
- Tired feeling
Serious Side Effects of Tekturna HCT (Aliskiren/Hydrochlorothiazide):
- Chest pain
- Eye pain, vision problems
- Feeling unsteady
- Fluttering in your chest
- Increased thirst or urination
- Irregular heartbeats
- Irregular heartbeats
- Leg cramps
- Light-headed feeling
- Little or no urination
- Loss of coordination
- Loss of movement
- Muscle or joint pain
- Muscle weakness or limp feeling
- Numbness or tingling
- Severe weakness
- Slurred speech
- Tingly feeling
Forms and Strength
Tekturna HCT (Aliskiren/Hydrochlorothiazide) is available in the following forms and strength:
Tekturna HCT: Tablet
- Fetal toxicity: When pregnancy is detected, Tekturna HCT should be discontinued as soon as possible.
- Reduced kidney function: Tekturna HCT can cause a decrease in kidney function, especially in patients with pre-existing kidney disease, or those who are taking other medications that affect kidney function. Your doctor may need to monitor your kidney function regularly.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to one or both of the active ingredients in Tekturna HCT. If you experience symptoms such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat, seek immediate medical attention.
- Low blood pressure: Tekturna HCT can cause low blood pressure, particularly in patients who are dehydrated or who have low salt levels.
- Electrolyte imbalances: Tekturna HCT can cause imbalances in electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and magnesium, which can lead to complications such as abnormal heart rhythms.
- Gout: Hydrochlorothiazide can cause an increase in uric acid levels in the blood, which may increase the risk of gout attacks in people with a history of gout.
- Liver problems: Rarely, Tekturna HCT may cause liver problems. If you experience symptoms such as yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, or abdominal pain, contact your doctor immediately.
- Low blood pressure: Tekturna HCT can cause a drop in blood pressure, especially if you stand up too quickly from a sitting or lying position. This can cause dizziness or fainting.
- High blood sugar: Hydrochlorothiazide can sometimes increase blood sugar levels, particularly in people with diabetes.
- Drive or operate machinery: Tekturna HCT may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, which can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. If you experience these side effects, avoid driving or using heavy machinery until you feel better.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose of Tekturna HCT?
If you miss a dose of Tekturna HCT, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Tekturna HCT?
You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking Tekturna HCT, as it can increase the risk of side effects such as lightheadedness or dizziness.
Is it safe to take Tekturna HCT during pregnancy?
Tekturna HCT should not be taken during pregnancy, as it can harm the unborn baby. If you become pregnant while taking Tekturna HCT, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
Can Tekturna HCT be taken with food?
Yes, Tekturna HCT can be taken with or without food.
How long does it take for Tekturna HCT to start working?
Tekturna HCT may start lowering blood pressure within a few hours of taking the first dose, but it may take several weeks to see the maximum effect.
It's important to purchase Tekturna HCT from verified Canadian pharmacy.