Table of contents:
Tegretol is an anticonvulsant and specific analgesic for trigeminal neuralgia primarily used to treat seizures and nerve pain by calming overactive nerves in the body. It can be indicated to treat epilepsy, nerve pain, and bipolar disorder.
It is sometimes used to treat bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder in some cases. It can also be used to treat trigeminal neuralgia, a type of facial pain, and certain types of mood disorders.
The active ingredient in Tegretol is Carbamazepine. Carbamazepine works by reducing abnormal electrical activity in the brain, which can cause seizures and reduce the transmission of pain signals along nerves. It is available for oral administration as chewable tablets.
Use and Dosage
Carbamazepine comes as a chewable tablet taken by mouth to take usually taken two to four times a day with meals. If you are using chewable tablets (such as Tegretol Chewables), chew the tablets thoroughly before swallowing.
Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while using the tablet unless your doctor or pharmacist says you may do so safely. Grapefruit can increase the chance of side effects with the medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
The recommended dosage of Carbamazepine Chewable Tablets can vary depending on the condition being treated, the patient's age and weight, and other factors.
- The usual starting dose for adults with epilepsy is typically 200 milligrams (mg) twice a day, which may be increased as needed based on the individual's response and tolerance.
- For adults with epilepsy, the recommended starting dose is typically 200 milligrams (mg) twice a day, which may be increased as needed up to a maintenance dose of 800 to 1200 mg per day. For nerve pain, the recommended dosage is 600 mg to 800 mg per day. In the treatment of bipolar disorder, the recommended dosage is 400 mg to 600 mg per day.
- For children, the dosage may be based on their weight and age. Do not exceed the recommended daily dose of 1200 mg/day. Additionally, because the chewable tablets may have different effects on blood levels than the same dose given as a tablet, start with a low dose and increase gradually as needed.
Take the tablet exactly as directed by a healthcare professional. Do not stop taking carbamazepine without talking to your doctor, even if you experience side effects such as unusual changes in behavior or mood. If you have a seizure disorder and you suddenly stop taking carbamazepine, your seizures may become worse. Your doctor will decrease your dose gradually. Additionally, do not suddenly stop taking Tegretol Chewables, as it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
Common Side Effects of Tegretol Chewables (Carbamazepine):
- Difficulty speaking
- Dry mouth
- Problems with walking and coordination
- Thinking abnormal
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
Serious Side Effects of Tegretol Chewables (Carbamazepine):
- Dark urine
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat; shortness of breath, dizziness, or fainting
- Headache, new or increased number of seizures, difficulty concentrating, confusion, weakness, or unsteadiness
- Loss of appetite
- Pain on the right side of your stomach area
- Severe rash with one or more of the following: fever, muscle, or joint aches, red or swollen eyes, blisters or peeling skin, mouth sores, or swelling of your face or neck
- Swelling of your face, eyes, eyelids, lips, or tongue
- Swollen glands
- Vision changes
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
Forms and Strength
Tegretol Chewables (Carbamazepine) is available in the following forms and strength:
Carbamazepine: Chewable Tablet
- Tegretol Chewables may cause serious or life-threatening allergic reactions, such as Stevens-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis. Patients should report any signs of an allergic reaction, such as rash, fever, or swollen glands, to a doctor or healthcare professional immediately.
- Tegretol Chewables may interact with other medications, including birth control pills, blood thinners, and antidepressants. Patients should discuss all medications and supplements they are taking with a doctor or healthcare professional before starting Tegretol Chewables.
- Tegretol Chewables can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and other side effects that may impair a person's ability to drive or operate machinery. Patients should use caution when performing activities that require alertness until they know how Tegretol Chewables affect them.
- Tegretol Chewables may have specific dosing adjustments in patients with liver or kidney disease. Patients with these conditions may require lower doses or more frequent monitoring during treatment with Tegretol Chewables.
- Tegretol Chewables should be used with caution in elderly patients, as they may be more susceptible to side effects.
- Tegretol Chewables may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior, especially in children, teenagers, and young adults. A doctor or healthcare professional should closely monitor patients for signs of depression or other mental health issues during treatment with Tegretol Chewables.
- Tegretol Chewables may affect a person's electrolyte balance, which can be potentially dangerous, particularly in patients with heart or kidney disease. Patients should discuss any pre-existing medical conditions with a doctor or healthcare professional before starting treatment with Tegretol Chewables.
- Tegretol Chewables may cause changes in blood pressure, heart rate, and blood sugar levels. Patients with hypertension, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes may require more frequent monitoring during treatment with Tegretol Chewables.
- Tegretol Chewables may cause a decrease in white blood cells, which can increase the risk of infection. Patients should report any signs of infection, such as fever or sore throat, to a doctor or healthcare professional immediately.
- Tegretol Chewables should not be suddenly stopped, as it may cause withdrawal symptoms, such as seizures, anxiety, and agitation. Patients should always follow their doctor's instructions when starting or stopping treatment with Tegretol Chewables.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it safe to take Tegretol Chewables during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
You should always discuss the risks and benefits of taking Tegretol Chewables during pregnancy or while breastfeeding with a doctor or healthcare professional, as it may cause harm to the fetus or infant.
How long does it take for Tegretol Chewables to work?
Tegretol Chewables can take several weeks to start working properly, and it may need to be adjusted over time to achieve the best results.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Tegretol Chewables?
You should avoid drinking alcohol while taking Tegretol Chewables, as it can increase the risk of side effects, such as drowsiness and dizziness.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Tegretol Chewables?
If you miss a dose of Tegretol Chewables, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
It's important to purchase Tegretol Chewables from verified Canadian pharmacy.