Table of contents:
Keppra XR is a prescription used to treat certain types of seizures, including partial-onset seizures, in patients who are 12 years old or older. It is an extended-release form of the antiepileptic medication Levetiracetam. Levetiracetam is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.
Levetiracetam is also used in combination with other medications to treat seizures in adults and children 12 years of age or older with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. It gradually releases the medication over a longer period, which helps to maintain consistent levels in the body and reduce the frequency of seizures.
Use and Dosage
Keppra XR (Levetiracetam) comes as an extended-release tablet that should be taken orally once a day as prescribed by your doctor, with or without food. The tablet should be swallowed whole and should not be crushed or chewed to avoid releasing all the drug at once, which can increase the risk of side effects.
The appropriate dosage of Keppra XR depends on factors such as your medical condition and how you respond to treatment. Children's dosage is typically calculated based on weight. To minimize the risk of side effects, your physician may initially prescribe a low dose of this medication, gradually increasing it over time. Be sure to follow your doctor's instructions closely.
Take Keppra XR regularly to derive the maximum benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time every day. Do not take more than the prescribed dose or use this medication more frequently or for a longer duration than recommended. Following such practices will not hasten your recovery and could increase your chances of experiencing unpleasant side effects.
Do not abruptly stop taking Keppra XR without first consulting your doctor. If you stop the medication without tapering it off, your seizures could potentially worsen. Your doctor will advise you on gradually reducing your dosage.
Common Side Effects of Keppra XR (Levetiracetam):
- Accidental injury
- Double vision
- Increased blood pressure
- Lazy eye
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of control of bodily movements
- Numbness and tingling
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Sinus infection (sinusitis)
- Viral infection
- Weakness/lack of energy
Serious Side Effects of Keppra XR (Levetiracetam):
- Abnormal hepatic function tests
- Bone marrow suppression
- Decreased hematocrit
- Epidermal necrolysis
- Involuntary muscle movements
- Low white blood cell count (neutropenia, leukopenia)
- Suicidal tendencies
Forms and Strength
Keppra XR (Levetiracetam) is available in the following forms and strength:
Keppra XR: ER Tablet
Levetiracetam: ER Tablet
- If you are allergic to levetiracetam or any of the other ingredients in Keppra XR, you should not take it. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience any signs of an allergic reaction, such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Keppra XR may cause mood changes, depression, anxiety, and hostility. Be sure to discuss any changes in mood or behavior with your healthcare provider.
- There is a risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior with Keppra XR. Contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience any changes in mood or behavior, or if you have thoughts of suicide or harming yourself.
- Keppra XR is primarily eliminated from the body through the kidneys. If you have kidney problems, your healthcare provider may need to adjust your dose or monitor you more closely while you are taking Keppra XR.
- Keppra XR can cause drowsiness, which can affect your ability to drive or operate machinery. Do not drive or perform other activities that require alertness until you know how Keppra XR affects you.
- Keppra XR may interact with other medications, including some over-the-counter medications and herbal supplements. Let your healthcare provider know about all medications and supplements you are taking before starting Keppra XR.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should discuss the risks and benefits of taking Keppra XR with your healthcare provider. Keppra XR may pass into breast milk, so women who are breastfeeding should talk to their healthcare provider before taking Keppra XR.
- Rarely, Keppra XR may cause eye problems, such as blurred or double vision or eye pain. If you experience any changes in vision or eye pain, contact your healthcare provider immediately.
- In rare cases, Keppra XR may cause liver problems. Your healthcare provider may need to monitor your liver function while you are taking Keppra XR.
- If you stop taking Keppra XR suddenly, you may experience withdrawal seizures. Talk to your healthcare provider about how to safely discontinue Keppra XR, if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Keppra XR and how does it work?
Keppra XR is an extended-release version of the medication levetiracetam. It is an anti-epileptic drug that works by reducing abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Keppra XR?
If you miss a dose of Keppra XR, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
Can I take Keppra XR while pregnant or breastfeeding?
The safety of Keppra XR during pregnancy and breastfeeding is not well established. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of taking Keppra XR.
How long does it take for Keppra XR to start working?
Keppra XR may begin to work within a few hours after taking it but can take several weeks to reach its full effect.
Can Keppra XR be taken with other medications?
Keppra XR may interact with other medications, tell your healthcare provider about all medications you are currently taking.
It's important to purchase Keppra XR from verified Canadian pharmacy.