Table of contents:
Sleep-Eze is an over-the-counter medication used to relieve occasional nighttime sleeplessness and insomnia. The usual dose for adults and children 12 years and older is 25 mg to 50 mg taken by mouth at bedtime.
Sleep-Eze contains the active ingredient Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, which is an antihistamine. Antihistamines work by blocking histamine's effects, a naturally occurring substance released by the body in response to allergens or other irritants. Histamine can cause symptoms such as itching, sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes, which are commonly associated with allergies, but it can also cause drowsiness. Blocking histamine with antihistamines such as Diphenhydramine may result in drowsiness and aid sleep.
Use and Dosage
Sleep-Eze comes in the form of tablet to take by mouth usually once daily. Swallow 1 tablet with water 20 minutes before you go to bed. Not to be used by children under 16 years. Not to be used by the elderly with confusion. Do not take more than the recommended dose.
The exact usage and dosage of Sleep-Eze Caplets would depend on the strength of the caplets, as there are regular strength and extra strength versions available. However, take 1 or 2 caplets before going to bed if needed. If persisting drowsiness occurs when taking 2 caplets (50mg), reduce dose to 1 caplet (25mg).
Use Sleep-Eze only as directed on the packaging or by a healthcare provider, as it can cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive or operate machinery. If you continue to have difficulty sleeping for longer than two weeks, contact your doctor.
Follow the instructions provided on the packaging or by a healthcare professional and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Consult with a healthcare professional before using Sleep Eze Caplets, especially if you have any medical conditions or are currently taking any medications.
Common Side Effects of Sleep Eze (Diphenhydramine - non-Rx):
- Dry mouth, nose, and throat
- Excitement (especially in children)
- Increased chest congestion
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle weakness
Serious Side Effects of Sleep Eze (Diphenhydramine - non-Rx):
- Chest tightness
- Decreased muscle coordination
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Difficulty urinating or painful urination
- Excitation (especially in children)
- Muscle weakness
- Rapid heart rate
- Skin rash or hives
- Vision problems
- Vision problems
Forms and Strength
Sleep Eze (Diphenhydramine - non-Rx) is available in the following forms and strength
Sleep Eze: Caplets
- Diphenhydramine is a sedating antihistamine and may cause drowsiness, making it unsafe to drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Diphenhydramine may interact with other medications, such as tranquilizers, sedatives, or other antihistamines.
- Diphenhydramine may increase the risk of falls, especially in elderly patients.
- Diphenhydramine should not be used in people with closed-angle glaucoma or urinary retention.
- Diphenhydramine may cause dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, or urinary retention.
- Diphenhydramine may cause dizziness, headaches, or nausea, particularly when taken in higher doses than recommended.
- Diphenhydramine may cause allergic reactions in some individuals, especially those who are allergic to other antihistamines.
- Diphenhydramine has been associated with an increased risk of dementia and cognitive decline in older adults.
- Diphenhydramine can cause dry eyes, blurred vision, and increased sensitivity to light.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How long does it take for Sleep Eze to take effect?
Usually the product starts to work in 15 – 30 minutes. However, it varies from individual to individual.
Is it OK to take one sleeping pill every night?
Sleeping pills are not meant to be taken every night. They are meant to be taken for short-term sleeping problems, such as jet lag. Long-term use is associated with risks such as diminished sleep quality, dependence, and more.
It's important to purchase Sleep Eze from verified Canadian pharmacy.