Table of contents:
Opticrom is ophthalmic medication used to treat certain allergic eye conditions such as vernal keratoconjunctivitis, vernal conjunctivitis, and vernal keratitis. It inhibits itching of the eyes that can occur with these conditions.
Opticrom eye drops contain the active ingredient sodium cromoglicate, which belongs to a class of medications called mast cell stabilizers. It works by preventing the release of certain substances in the body that cause allergic reactions. Mast cells are an important part of the immune system, and when they are activated, they release histamine and other substances that cause inflammation and immune system response.
Sodium cromoglicate stabilizes the mast cells and prevents them from releasing histamine, thus reducing the symptoms of allergic reactions such as itchy, watery, or red eyes. Opticrom eye drops may take a few days to start working, and a few weeks to achieve full effectiveness.
Use and Dosage
Opticrom eye drops should be used four times a day, or as directed by your doctor. Treatment may continue for up to three months.
To apply Opticrom eye drops, follow these steps:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Tilt your head back and look upward.
- Gently pull down the lower eyelid to create a small pocket.
- Hold the dropper above the pocket and squeeze one drop into it.
- Release the lower eyelid and close your eye for one to two minutes.
- If you need to use more than one drop, wait for at least five minutes before putting in the next drop.
- Replace the dropper cap tightly after each use.
- Do not touch the dropper tip to your eye or any other surface to avoid contamination.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses while using these eye drops.
Use Opticrom eye drops regularly and at the same time each day to get the most benefit from it. If you are using other eye medications, wait at least five minutes before applying Opticrom eye drops. If you have any concerns, contact your doctor for advice.
Common Side Effects of Opticrom Eyedrops (Sodium Cromoglicate):
- Burning or stinging of the eye (mild and temporary)
- Dry eyes
- Puffiness around the eyes
- Watery or itchy eyes
Serious Side Effects of Opticrom Eyedrops (Sodium Cromoglicate):
- Eye discharge
- Eye pain
- Redness or swelling of the eye
- Vision changes
Forms and Strength
Opticrom Eyedrops (Sodium Cromoglicate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Opticrom Eyedrops: Eye drops
- Do not use these eye drops if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses while using Opticrom eye drops.
- Wait at least five minutes before using any other eye medication after using Opticrom.
- Speak to your doctor before using Opticrom eye drops if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you experience any unusual symptoms or side effects, stop using Opticrom eye drops and contact your doctor immediately.
- These eye drops may cause temporary blurred vision or stinging or burning of the eyes after application.
- Do not touch the dropper to the eye or any other surface, as this may cause contamination.
- Inform your doctor about any other medications you are taking before using Opticrom to avoid interactions.
- Close your eyes gently and do not rub them after applying Opticrom to avoid further irritation.
- Store Opticrom eye drops at room temperature and away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not use the eye drops if the solution changes color or becomes cloudy.
- Discard the eye drops four weeks after opening, or according to the expiration date on the packaging, whichever comes first.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is it safe to use sodium cromoglicate eye drops?
If you use them for longer, they may not work as well, and it could cause eye infections. Sodium cromoglicate eye drops may sting your eyes a little when you first drop them in, but this does not last long.
How many drops of sodium cromoglicate?
The usual dose of sodium cromoglicate eye drops for adults and children is 1 or 2 drops into each eye, 4 times a day.
Can I wear contact lenses while using Opticrom eye drops?
Avoid wearing contact lenses while using Opticrom eye drops.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Opticrom eye drops?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule.
It's important to purchase Opticrom Eyedrops from verified Canadian pharmacy.