Table of contents:
Tessalon Perles genetically known as Benzonatate is a prescription non-narcotic medication used to suppress coughing. Benzonatate belongs to a group of medications called cough suppressants. Cough suppressants work to reduce the action of cough reflex by deadening the tissues of the lungs and pleura intricate in the cough reflex. It works by disorienting the throat and lungs to reduce the frequency and intensity of coughing.
Benzonatate is an effective medication for relieving coughs that are caused by colds or influenza (flu). It should not be used for chronic coughs associated with smoking. Asthma, or emphysema, as it is not effective in treating these conditions. Additionally, Benzonatate should not be used when there is an unusually large amount of mucus or phlegm present with the cough.
Benzonatate works by acting directly on the lungs and airways, providing relief from cough symptoms. Benzonatate is known to start working within 15 to 20 minutes of taking a dose. However, due to safety concerns, it is not recommended for use in children who are younger than 10 years old.
Uses and Dosage
Benzonatate (brand name Tessalon Perles) is available in the form of capsules and should be taken by mouth with or without food, usually three times daily as needed or as directed by a physician. It is important to swallow the capsule whole, as sucking, chewing, or dissolving the capsule in the mouth may lead to serious side effects.
The dosage of Benzonatate (brand name Tessalon Perles) should be adjusted according to the strength of the medication and the medical problem being treated. The number of doses taken each day, the interval between doses, and the duration of treatment should all be based on the medical condition in question. For adults and children 10 years of age or older, the recommended dose for cough is one hundred milligrams (mg) three times a day, not exceeding 200 mg at one time or 600 mg per day. The use of Benzonatate in children younger than 10 years of age is not recommended.
Common Side Effects of Tessalon Perles:
- Stomach upset
- Stuffy nose
Tessalon Perles May Cause Serious Side Effects
- A choking feeling
- Burning in your eyes
- Numbness in your chest
- Ongoing numbness or tingling in your mouth, throat, or face
- Severe drowsiness or dizziness
Form and Strength
Benzonatate the generic alternative Tessalon Perles is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 100 mg
- 200 mg
- Patients should be cautioned that the concurrent use of Tessalon Perles with other medications that cause drowsiness, such as opioids, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, or medications for anxiety or seizures, may lead to an increased risk of sedation. It is important to consult a physician before initiating any combination therapy with Tessalon Perles.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers should use Benzonatate (brand name Tessalon Perles) only when clearly needed, as the safety of this medication in these populations has not been established. Potential risks to unborn and breastfed babies may exist, so caution is advised.
- Benzonatate (brand name Tessalon Perles) is not approved for use in children younger than 10 years of age. An overdose of this medication can be potentially fatal in young children, so caution should be taken when administering it.
- Patients should not suck or chew on a Benzonatate (brand name Tessalon Perles) capsule, as this can lead to serious side effects. It is important to swallow the capsule whole to receive the full benefit of the medication.
- Inform your physician and pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products that you are taking or plan to take. Your doctor may need to adjust the doses of your medications or closely monitor you for any potential side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What happens if I miss a dose?
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of Tessalon Perles can be fatal, especially to a child. Accidental death has occurred in children under 10 years old.
How should I take Tessalon Perles?
Never suck or chew on a Tessalon Perles capsule. Swallow the pill whole. Sucking or chewing the capsule may cause serious side effects. Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Use the medicine exactly as directed.
What should I avoid while taking benzonatate?
Avoid eating or drinking anything while you feel numbness or tingling in your mouth or throat.
It's important to purchase Tessalon Perles from verified Canadian pharmacy.