Table of contents:
Skelaxin (generic name metaxalone) is a prescription medication used as a muscle relaxant to treat acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions. It belongs to a class of drugs called skeletal muscle relaxants. Metaxalone works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to the brain, which can help to relieve muscle spasms and pain contractions.
Skelaxin is a muscle relaxant drug used to relieve pain and discomfort associated with short-term muscle spasms. It can also be used as an adjunct therapy to rest, physical therapy, and other measures for the relief of discomfort associated with acute musculoskeletal conditions.
Metaxalone is usually taken orally and comes in tablet form. Skelaxin is should not be used by children under the age of 12.
Uses and Dosage
Metaxalone is an oral tablet medication used as a muscle relaxant for acute musculoskeletal pain. It is generally taken three to four times per day as prescribed by a doctor, and should be taken according to the prescribed dosage, frequency, and duration. Carefully follow the instructions on the prescription label and seek clarification from a healthcare professional if there is any confusion.
The recommended dosage of Metaxalone for adults and children over 12 years of age is one 800 mg tablet three to four times a day.
Common Side Effects of Skelaxin (Metaxalone):
- Stomach upset
Serious Side Effects of Skelaxin (Metaxalone):
- Changes to red and white blood cells
- Dark-colored urine
- Loss of appetite
- Pale or yellow skin
- Upper stomach pain
- Weak or shallow breathing
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes
Form and Strength
Skelaxin (Metaxalone) is available in the following forms and strengths:
- 400 mg
- Before taking Skelaxin, talk to your healthcare provider about any medical conditions you have, as well as any medications or supplements you are taking. Also let them know if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. Discuss any potential risks and benefits of taking Skelaxin with your healthcare provider.
- In case of a Skelaxin overdose, seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line. Overdose symptoms may include drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and possibly coma or convulsions.
- It may also cause dizziness or drowsiness and should not be taken with alcohol. You talk to your doctor if you have questions about Skelaxin or how to use it.
- Skelaxin should be stored at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
- Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking metaxalone if you are 65 years of age or older. Older adults should not usually take metaxalone because it is not as safe or effective as other medications that can be used to treat the same condition.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to metaxalone, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in metaxalone tablets. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. If you become pregnant while taking metaxalone, call your doctor immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose of Skelaxin, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How long does metaxalone (Skelaxin) take to kick in?
This can vary from person to person and depends on whether you take the medication with food. Most people start to feel some effects within an hour of taking metaxalone (Skelaxin). You should feel the full effects about 3 hours after your dose.
Can Skelaxin be taken with other medications?
Skelaxin can potentially interact with other drugs, including alcohol, so let your doctor know about any other medications you are taking.
Who should not take Skelaxin?
Skelaxin is not recommended for use in children under the age of 12. It should also be used with caution in patients with liver disease or a history of drug abuse.
It's important to purchase Skelaxin from verified Canadian pharmacy.