Table of contents:
Norflex is a medication used as a muscle relaxant. The generic name for Norflex is orphenadrine citrate, and lower-cost generic versions of the medication are available. Orphenadrine is an anticholinergic drug of the ethanolamine antihistamine class and is closely related to diphenhydramine. Norflex works by blocking nerve impulses that cause skeletal muscles to contract, thus decreasing muscle tension and discomfort.
Orphenadrine is used as an adjunct to rest, physical therapy, and other measures for the relief of discomfort associated with acute painful musculoskeletal conditions. It is also used to treat skeletal muscle conditions such as pain or injury when used together with rest and physical therapy.
Uses and Dosage
Orphenadrine is available in tablet form to be taken orally by mouth. Swallow the whole tablet with water, and do not crush or cut the tablet. Because of the way orphenadrine is made, it can last a long time in your body. If you crush or cut the tablet, the medication may get into your body too quickly, not work for as long as it should, and raise your risk of side effects.
The recommended dosages of orphenadrine may vary depending on factors such as age and the condition for which it is prescribed. The usual adult dose for muscle spasm is 100 mg orally twice a day with extended-release tablets. Howeve, the exact dosage and dosing interval may need to be determined by a healthcare provider based on individual medical needs.
Common Side Effects of Norflex (Orphenadrine Citrate):
- Dry mouth
Serious Side Effects of Norflex (Orphenadrine Citrate):
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Trouble urinating
Form and strength
Norflex (Orphenadrine Citrate) is available in the following forms and strength:
Orphenadrine Citrate: ER (Extended Release) Tablet
- 100 mg
- To avoid worsening sleepiness and tiredness while taking orphenadrine, abstain from alcohol or other medications that can cause drowsiness.
- To avoid experiencing symptoms like overdose, do not abruptly discontinue taking orphenadrine if you have been using it for a long time. Before stopping orphenadrine, you should discuss your plan with your healthcare provider to safely manage your medication regimen.
- To minimize the chances of experiencing adverse symptoms or overdose when taking orphenadrine, be aware that the risk may be higher for individuals aged 65 and older.
- Orphenadrine may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. Be careful driving or operating machinery until you know how orphenadrine affects you.
- Drinking alcohol while using NORFLEX may increase the occurrence or severity of side effects such as drowsiness. Therefore, avoid consuming alcohol while taking this medication.
- If you are taking orphenadrine, and you experience a faster heart rate or worsening of heart problems, speak with your healthcare provider about alternative medication options that would be safer for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How should Norflex be taken?
Norflex should be taken exactly as prescribed by a doctor, typically in tablet form. It is important not to exceed the recommended dosage or frequency of use.
Can Norflex interact with other medications?
Yes, Norflex can interact with certain medications, including other muscle relaxants and drugs that affect the central nervous system. Discuss all medications you are taking with your doctor before starting treatment with Norflex. Remember to consult your doctor if you have any concerns or questions about using Norflex.
Can you drink alcohol with orphenadrine?
Orphenadrine can cause you to be less alert and feel sleepy. Because alcohol can make you feel even less alert and sleepier, it is recommended to avoid drinking alcohol with the medication.
Can you take orphenadrine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding?
It is unclear whether orphenadrine can cause harm to your unborn baby, affect your ability to produce breast milk, or be found in breast milk. To be safe, ask your healthcare provider about other alternatives for you.
It's important to purchase Norflex from verified Canadian pharmacy.