Table of contents:
Savella is a prescription medication used to treat the symptoms of fibromyalgia that causes chronic pain in the muscles and joints. It contains an active ingredient called Milnacipran. Milnacipran belongs to a class of medications known as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs).
Savella works by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters called serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. These substances help to regulate mood, pain signals, and other bodily functions.
Uses and Dosage
Milnacipran is typically administered orally in tablet form. Milnacipran can be taken with or without food but taking it with food can reduce the likelihood of stomach upset. Take milnacipran at the same time each day and follow the instructions on the prescription label carefully. You adhere to the prescribed dosage and do not exceed it or take more doses than recommended by your doctor.
The recommended dosing regimen involves taking one tablet on day 1 of therapy and then taking two tablets per day thereafter.
The recommended starting dosage of Milnacipran for the treatment of fibromyalgia is 12.5mg once daily for the first week, followed by 25mg twice daily for the second week, and then 50mg twice daily thereafter. However, the dosage should be individualized based on the patient's response and tolerability and should only be determined by a healthcare professional.
Common Side Effects of Savella (Milnacipran):
- Dry mouth
- Hot flashes
Serious Side Effects of Savella (Milnacipran):
- Blurred and tunnel vision
- Eye pain or swelling
- Light-headed feeling
- Like you might pass out
- Little or no urination
- Liver problems: stomach pain (upper right side), itching, dark urine, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Low sodium level; headache, confusion, severe weakness, vomiting, problems with thinking or memory, feeling unsteady
- Manic episodes; racing thoughts, increased energy, unusual risk-taking behavior, extreme happiness, being irritable or talkative
- Seeing halos around lights
Form and strength
Savella (Milnacipran) is available in the following forms and strength
· Milnacipran: Tablet
- 25 mg
- 50 mg
- Elderly patients are more likely to have hyponatremia (low sodium in the blood) and age-related kidney problems, which may require an adjustment in dosage.
- Milnacipran may cause withdrawal symptoms if it is stopped suddenly, so discuss the proper way to taper off this medication with a healthcare professional.
- Savella carries a warning regarding suicidal thoughts or behavior and caution should be exercised in patients with severe hepatic impairment.
- Savella may interact with certain medications, so talk to your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking before starting treatment with Savella.
- You should know that milnacipran may cause high blood pressure. Your blood pressure and pulse (heart rate) should be checked before starting treatment and regularly while you are receiving milnacipran.
- You should know that milnacipran may make you drowsy and may affect your judgment, thinking, and movements. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does Savella work?
Savella is believed to work by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain that help regulate pain and mood.
How long does it take for Savella to work?
It may take several weeks for Savella to start working, and it needs to be taken regularly to have an effect.
Is Savella FDA approved?
Yes, Savella is FDA approved for the management of fibromyalgia in adults.
Can Savella cause withdrawal symptoms?
Savella should be gradually tapered off when stopping treatment, as sudden discontinuation may cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, headache, and fatigue.
It's important to purchase Savella from verified Canadian pharmacy.