Table of contents:
Risperdal is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, irritability associated with autistic disorder, and moderate to severe manic episodes.
Risperdal can be used to treat behavior problems such as aggression, self-injury, and sudden mood changes in teenagers and children 5 to 16 years of age who have autism (a condition that causes repetitive behavior, difficulty interacting with others, and problems with communication).
The active ingredient in Risperdal is risperidone and available in an oral liquid form. Risperidone is in a class of medications called atypical antipsychotics. It works by changing the activity of certain natural substances in the brain.).
Use and Dosage
Risperdal solution can be administered directly from the calibrated pipette or can be mixed with a beverage such as water, coffee, orange juice, or low-fat milk. The labeling for Risperdal oral solution typically recommends using the supplied pipette to measure the dose and to administer the solution directly into the mouth.
The proper dosage for each patient may vary and should be determined by a healthcare professional. It is usually taken once a day with or without liquid, and the dose may be adjusted over time.
Take risperidone at around the same time(s) every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Take risperidone exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Common Side Effects of Risperdal Liquid (Risperidone):
- Back, muscle, or joint pain
- Blurred vision
- Breast enlargement or discharge
- Decreased sexual ability
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Difficulty urinating
- Dizziness, feeling unsteady, or having trouble keeping your balance
- Dry mouth
- Dry or discolored skin
- Increased appetite
- Increased saliva
- Late or missed menstrual periods
- Stomach pain
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Risperdal Liquid (Risperidone):
- Cough, chills and/or other signs of infection
- Fast or irregular pulse
- Muscle stiffness
- Painful erection of the penis that lasts for hours
- Swelling of the face, throat, lips, and eyes
- Difficulty swallowing or breathing
- Slow movements or shuffling walk
- Unusual movements of your face or body that you cannot control
Forms and Strength
Risperdal Liquid (Risperidone) is available in the following forms and strengths:
Risperdal Liquid: Oral solution
Risperidone: Oral solution
- Risperdal oral solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness, and patients should avoid driving or operating machinery until they know how the medication affects them.
- Risperdal liquid may increase the risk of stroke in elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis.
- Risperidone may cause a rare but serious condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
- Risperdal liquid may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behaviors, especially in children and young adults.
- Patients with a history of seizures, low white blood cell count, or other medical conditions may require additional monitoring while taking risperidone.
- Risperdal liquid should not be mixed with other medications or substances, as this may alter its effectiveness or cause side effects.
- Patients who experience any severe or unusual side effects while taking risperidone should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is Risperdal addictive?
Risperdal is not considered addictive, but patients should not stop taking the medication without first consulting with their healthcare provider.
How quickly does Risperdal start working?
Risperdal may begin to work within a few days to a few weeks, but individual response times may vary.
Can Risperdal cause weight gain?
Liquid may cause weight gain and other metabolic side effects, especially with long-term use.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Risperdal?
Patients should take their missed dose as soon as they remember but should not double up on their medication if it is close to the time for their next dose. If a patient misses multiple doses, they should consult with their healthcare provider.
Is Risperdal available in generic form?
Yes, Risperidone is available in generic form, and may be less expensive than brand-name Risperdal Liquid.
It's important to purchase Risperdal Liquid from verified Canadian pharmacy.