Table of contents:
Sandomigran DS is an oral medication used to prevent migraine headaches. It contains pizotifen, which is not used to treat headaches once they have started. By blocking these receptors, pizotifen may help reduce the frequency and severity of migraine headaches for those who suffer from them.
Use and Dosage
Pizotifen comes in the form of Tablet to take by mouth usually to three tablets each day. Take the tablets with water or other liquid. They can be taken with or without food.
The recommended dosage range for Sandomigran DS is 1 mg to 6 mg daily depending on the individual's response to the medication. The goal is to reach the lowest effective dose that best prevents migraine headaches. Additionally, a gradual increase in dosage is recommended to minimize or reduce the incidence of drowsiness. However, the specific dosage and frequency of the medication may vary depending on the individual's needs and medical history, so patients should always consult with their healthcare provider before taking Sandomigran DS.
Take Pizotifen exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is less than 4 hours until your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Common Side Effects of Sandomigraine DS (Pizotifen):
- Dry mouth
- Increased appetite
- Weight gain
Serious Side Effects of Sandomigraine DS (Pizotifen):
- Aggressive behavior or agitation in children
- Changes in sleep
- Changes in weight
- Dark urine
- Decreased interest in activities
- Difficulty breathing
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Muscle and joint pain
- Pale stools
- Poor concentration
- Sensation of tingling or prickling
- Swelling of the throat or mouth
- Thoughts of suicide
- Vision changes
- Weight loss
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
Forms and Strength
Sandomigraine DS (Pizotifen) is available in the following forms and strength:
Sandomigraine DS: Tablet
- 1 mg
- Use with caution in patients with epilepsy, as withdrawal symptoms such as depression, tremor, nausea, anxiety, malaise, dizziness, and sleeping problems may occur.
- Performing tasks that require mental alertness may be negatively affected by the medication, therefore caution is advised.
- Consult with a doctor or healthcare provider about the possible side effects and precautions before taking Sandomigran DS.
- Monitor for sedation and mental state and may need to reduce dosage in certain patients.
- Be cautious about the risk of potential bilateral headaches lasting longer.
- Patients with liver or kidney problems may need to adjust the dosage of Sandomigran DS.
- Sandomigran DS may cause weight gain, so it should be used with caution in patients who are obese or have a history of weight gain.
- Sandomigran DS may cause drowsiness or sedation, so caution is advised in patients who operate heavy machinery or engage in activities that require mental alertness.
- Sandomigran DS may interact with other drugs, including alcohol and sedatives, consult a healthcare provider before taking Sandomigran DS.
- Sandomigran DS should be used with caution in pregnant or breastfeeding women, as its effects on fetal development and lactation are not fully understood.
- Sandomigran DS should not be used to treat acute migraines and should only be used for prophylaxis. Patients should be advised to seek medical attention if their migraine symptoms worsen or do not improve while taking Sandomigran DS.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can Sandomigran DS be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
The safety of using Sandomigran DS during pregnancy or while breastfeeding is not well established, and patients should consult with their healthcare provider before using it.
How should Sandomigran DS be taken?
Sandomigran DS is typically taken orally, usually in the form of a tablet. The dosage and frequency of the medication will depend on the patient's individual needs.
Can Sandomigran DS be used to treat other conditions besides migraines?
While Sandomigran DS is primarily used for the prevention of migraines, the active ingredient pizotifen is also used for the prevention of cluster headaches.
What should I do if I miss a dose of Sandomigran DS?
If you miss a dose of Sandomigran DS, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not double-up on doses to make up for a missed dose.
It's important to purchase Sandomigran DS from verified Canadian pharmacy.