Table of contents:
Amerge is a medication used to treat migraine headaches in adults. It helps to relieve headaches, pain, and other symptoms of migraines, including sensitivity to light and sound. Amerge contains naratriptan hydrochloride as an active ingredient. Naratriptan belongs to a group of drugs called triptans which is a type of medication called a selective serotonin receptor agonist. It works by narrowing the blood vessels in the brain, which helps to relieve migraine, headache pain, and other symptoms.
Uses and Dosage
Amerge (Naratriptan) is an oral medication available in tablet form. It should be taken at the first sign of a migraine headache. If your headache symptoms improve after taking naratriptan but return after 4 hours or longer, you may take a second tablet. However, if your symptoms do not improve after taking naratriptan, do not take a second tablet before speaking with your doctor. Your doctor will inform you of the maximum number of tablets you may take in a 24-hour period. Follow the instructions on your prescription label carefully, and if there are any parts that you do not understand, ask your doctor or pharmacist for clarification.
Naratriptan is typically taken in tablet form, with a single dose consisting of either 1 mg or 2.5 mg taken orally for the treatment of migraine pain. If your migraine symptoms return or do not completely subside, you may take an additional dose after 4 hours have passed. The maximum daily dose of naratriptan should not exceed 5 mg.
Common Side Effects of Amerge (Naratriptan Hydrochloride):
- "Pins and needles" feeling in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Pain and pressure sensation in the body
- Pain or pressure in the throat or neck
Serious Side Effects of Amerge (Naratriptan Hydrochloride):
- Bone pain
- Change in taste sensation
- Chills or fever
- Difficulty with sleeping
- Eye problems
- General feeling of discomfort or illness
- Joint pain
- Muscle or joint stiffness, tightness, or rigidity
- Pounding heartbeat
- Stomach discomfort or pain
- Trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Form and Strength
Amerge (Naratriptan Hydrochloride) is available in the following forms and strength:
- 2.5 mg
Naratriptan Hydrochloride: Tablet
- 1 mg
- 2.5 mg
- Amerge may interact with other medications, including other migraine medications, antidepressants, and some antibiotics. Inform your doctor of all medications and supplements you are taking before starting Amerge.
- Amerge should not be used if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, severe liver problems, or certain types of heart disease.
- Amerge should not be used within 24 hours of taking other migraine medications that are in the same class (triptans), ergotamines or their derivatives, or MAO inhibitors.
- Amerge may cause sleepiness, dizziness, or other associated side effects, which can affect your ability to operate heavy machinery, drive or perform other activities that require full alertness.
- Amerge may cause serotonin syndrome, a rare but serious condition that can occur when there is an excessive buildup of serotonin in the body.
- Amerge may interact with other medications you are taking, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- Amerge should be used with caution in people with liver or kidney problems.
- Amerge should be avoided if you have a history of stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA).
- Amerge should be used with caution if you have certain medical conditions such as epilepsy or Raynaud's syndrome.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How should I take Amerge?
Amerge tablets are meant to be taken orally. Follow the dosing instructions given by your doctor. Do not exceed the recommended dose.
Can I take Amerge if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
Talk to your doctor before taking Amerge if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Can I drink alcohol while taking Amerge?
Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Amerge, as it may increase the risk of side effects.
How often can you take naratriptan (Amerge)?
You can take naratriptan (Amerge) or other migraine medications up to 9 days per month. Overusing migraine medications (taking them more than 9 days per month) can cause your headaches to get worse, leading to medication overuse headaches.
How fast does naratriptan (Amerge) work?
People typically feel migraine relief within 4 hours after taking naratriptan (Amerge).
It's important to purchase Amerge from verified Canadian pharmacy.